The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any insight worth talking about from this year?
I found another good response from fungicide as far as disease control in cereals but not the yield response we have been seeing the last few years. Did not see the boost this year I thought I saw last year from micro essentials products, but definately showed again that there is a fit for slow release nitrogen and or split applications. Saw yield, quality, and protien boosts from esn.
For us as it always goes seed bed prep, macro fertilizers, proper rotation, educated in crop chemical choices, and timing with the drill and sprayer were far and away the best return on investment.
Impressed with invigor 252, 74-44 again yielded better than it looked like it should. Tried fungicide strips on peas, saw absolutely no difference except the sprayer tracks.
Didn't feel as confident in the expensive dual action seed treat as I had in the past but not so much that I will quit them.
Not positive how I feel on zinc in the cereal fertilizer blend either?
Had pretty average crops this year so it felt like the added expense incurred from the add-ons, fungicides, micros etc just didn't have enough bang for the buck so speak.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Probably the biggest lesson I learnt this year was if they are calling for a -3 frost don't swath your canola early because it won't freeze and you'll cost yourself a good five bushels per acre. I sent a bill to environment canada for the losses incurred but so far haven't seen a nickel. :)

I'll write more later.

·
Premium Member
6,060 Posts
I am not sure we gained much spraying our wheat early 4-5 days before the frost with roundup. It has a lot of green in it that is downgrading it. If I had to do it over I would have left it ripen for 4-5 days more and swathed it on the day before it was to freeze. The stuff we swathed hours before the frost faired better than the stuff that was standing for grade.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used headline on the peas. And I agree with you guys on the frost, I dont have a ton of experience with it but always had more luck letting it stand a ripen naturally as long as possible. Its like choosing between getting kicked or punched in the baby makers, there really isn't a best answer.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Observations from my year, I tried headline on canola, no yield increase.
Had no side by sides on other fungicides applications, however nothing noticeable for yield or quality on cereals.

Farmer cowboy, how much zinc did you apply? For how many years? Zinc is very immobile, need to get good soil distribution of zinc. If your low on zinc, should start to show up in the next few crops.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Flax yields aren't worth mentioning this year. Have heard from a wide area that not many are impressed at all.

Staged (streamed) UAN at GS30 doesn't work well if it doesn't rain, or rains and then you can't get on the field until after the staging is correct. Will be putting most of the N down at seeding. Not consistent enough showers in my area to make it worth the risk. Yielded the same as seed applied without any differences. Not worth the hassle then.

Break even on Proline at heading in durum. No yield response with Proline in flax.

Decent ROI for foliar urea with 2L of orthophosphate product (FNA) at flag in durum, boot in rye (I was late), and bud in flax. Lost my pea test to hail.

Hail when peas are ready to harvest really isn't good for them!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tbone I'm in Alberta, average would be a fair term to use for the whole season some good some bad.
SKfarming I have been putting 1lb of Z with the cereal seed for 2yrs now, dont see myself doing it any more, I think there is more potential profit in boosting protein with a well timed N app.

·
Registered
880 Posts
28-0-0 on beans no word of a lie, 6 bushels more problem was we had 105 lbs of actual nitrogen, have to find out where the sweet spot is maybe 40 lbs will do. switched from fertilized winter wheat to soybeans, had to put in beans because we couldn't even pull the **** airdrill across the field.
the beans never turned yellow when nodulating.
topdressing spring wheat sure paid, 11 bushels more and 1.5% protein more.
Topdressed 45 lbs of actual N 28-0-0. Delayed harvest by half a week, compared to the neighbor.
soybeans actually don't like winterwheat as previous crop but prefer canola, never thought i'd say this but somehow our beans on canola stubble did better than the stuff on winter wheat.
beans want rain in august. yields were disappointing around here, we averaged 39 bushels (scaled not yield monitor). but some guys around here never went over 30.
dekalb 2510 the variety to grow this year. Most dekalbs did good.
pioneer beans, never ever will I grow them again, garbage!

·
Registered
868 Posts
New Seedhawk was disappointing all spring , hydraulic , electronic , and communication between drill ,cart and tractor were terrible.
Dealer went over it ,seedhawk crew fixed hydraulics .
Now done drilling urea and sulphur and I have to say its working as it should have in the spring.
Car berry wht was nice and short will grow it again and try plentiful also. Done with unity sick of all the straw .

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
pioneer beans, never ever will I grow them again, garbage!
Nice. Most expensive product you can buy! I gave up on pioneer several years ago, only thing I plant is seed corn for them. And, if they stick buy what they are trying to pull off they can shove that up their ass. Really went downhill since dupont acquired them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
1: On red lentils I did some fungicide trials; Quilt Vs Check and Quilt Vs Headline. Virtually zero difference between any of the trials, again. Starting to wonder why I keep trying, but at least I don't blanket the farm with fungi. Might be tempted to try a late app of Headline next year as we had quite a Stemphylium Blight problem move in during the last 1/3 part of the growing season causing me to lose top 1/3 of the plants on those fields. Green lentils never showed this disease side by side.

2: Heat/glyphosate works as a decent desicant under some conditions, but not all. Fields sprayed with heat/glyphosate are only showing volunteer lentils/grassy weeds 35 days after harvest so I am thinking we have got some good control of perenials.

http://www.thecombineforum.com/foru...e-vs-heat-glyphosate-cool-wet-conditions.html

3: Navigator again outyielded Verona by a fair margin, probably in the 5-7bpa range, even though it looked like it would be the other way around. Verona stood much better under the deluge of heavy rain, wind wet snow; probably had a 45 degree lean to it. Navigator was flat and very difficult to harvest, probably a 10-15 degree lean to it. Hit one half section of Verona with Folicur at flag and it was by far the best standing; you wouldn't have known it went through the ****show of harvest weather we had. Neither yield nor quality was much better but it was definitely easier to cut.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Bayer Canola L252 did 74 bu/ac on one field this year (before dockage). Others did about 70. So we were pretty impressed with that. It's tall stuff, though.

Did quite a few fungicide trials on wheat, but I didn't notice any dramatic lines on the yield monitor, but I'll have to load the data up and check my spraying notes. My gut feeling is there was a slight yield boost from spraying prosaro at flag leaf. And protein on hard red spring wheat was 15%, though much of it looked awful, and much will only make feed grade. CDC Go seemed to outyield Carberry, but it lodged something awful. We were impressed with Pasteur GP wheat, vs Conquer CPS wheat. Stood up well, and yielded quite well.

bigtimeoperator, what water rate did you use on your dessication? BASF recommended for dry beans to use 20 ga/ac water rate with the heat. And of course merge. I wondered what the high water volume would do to the glyphosate (dilute it?), but it worked pretty well, and even now the weeds are gone in the areas we sprayed.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I also desicated with heat/glyphosate as well as reglone. Both worked good, reglone was a good 3/4 days quicker than the heat combo, tried with 5.5 gal/acre, 8 gal/acre and 17.5 gal/acre. The 8 gal seemed to be the most effective. 17.5 did not work well at all.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Tried folicure on go wheat- no difference
Proline on canola - no difference
Headline on canola - no difference
Micro mix on wheat and canola - no difference

All weighed with grain cart scale. One mile swath compared to untreated.
We had below average wheat and average canola yields this year
But main thing I learned this year was if it doesn't rain in May /June nothing will really work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.