The Combine Forum banner

wheat after clearfield chemicals like ares or salute?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  dfarms11 
#1 ·
Im wondering if there is anyone on here that has experience with growing spring wheat after using ares or salute? i got a letter today from corteva saying that if i got less than 5 inches of rain from june 1 to aug 31 i should not be growing spring wheat this year? anyone have any experience with this scenario ? this is really screwing up my seeding plan for this year

#4 ·
I’m planning on growing durum on lentil Stubble where ares was sprayed on lentils. This year will be 4th year of that. I haven’t had 5 inches in that time frame in the last 3 years. I use a disk drill. There isn’t a lot of dirt showing when spraying ares.

#5 ·
ok thats interesting thanks for reply. So i are soybeans and sprayed them early on with a 1/3 rate of pursuit and than last year went to clearfield canola that I sprayed with ares and now this year I was planning on going to spring wheat but got a letter in the mail saying if i received less than 5 inches rain during that period to not grow spring wheat wheat unless it was a clearfield variety. whats your thoughts on this? would you go ahead and plant anyway?

#7 ·
I can tell you this, the answer to your question is yes, the residual can and will affect your wheat or barley the next year. We had a fairly large group of growers in our area that got nailed pretty hard from the residue the year before last. Including myself on a 1/2 section of barley, reason I probably won't grow Clearfield canola without a healthy amount of precip to break that product down. It was bad!!

#12 ·
Corteva now owns Ares.^

Had it happen on our farm in 2018 on our wheat following CL canola with ares. We farm in the black soil zone around 5% OM. Didn't receive substantial (+1" at a time) rain till late august. I'd take their recommendation. Id even be cautious for 2 years if super dry with imazamox and imazapyr if growing canola.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.