The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have problems with my Forrest wheat filling at Portland and to some extent at toolondo.

There are many blank heads, usually the frost heads to appear, all the later heads are filling ok?

Eyespot is rife, and I suspect a leaf disease like septoria stopping grain fill?

Taking samples to agro soon to have analysed.

Any later forming heads are fine and even plants that were stunted due to severe wet weather are now throwing heads and are filling ok.

Even the spring wheat 10 weeks old are filling...

Also suspect take all but roots don't look like it? I'd say more stem or leaf but not sure.

Paddock was grass for 100 years and this is second wheat, PH is 5.5...some times it's areas that have blanks some times it's through areas where heads are filling fine...

Did not use any fungicide this year due to finances...however am battling to find out exactly what is causing this.

Pic 1, I dug up 3 sets of plants, plants on LH side have filled, middle and rh side blank or shrivelled up grain?

Ant...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These plants have heads filling, but diseased leafs, stems seem ok, in. A real low spot where water lays...should be dead! Seems to be no distinct issue with severe wet or on rises...only thing I can pick is plants that throw heads early?

Ant...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pics of heads that are filling...the early heads are often huge in size ..13-14 grains tall, so plant is healthy to get that part right, but the early ones haven't filled, the later ones while still huge are filling nicely..

Need a paddock full of these and I'm laughing....ohh I wish...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I can work out a treatment for this disease...I think I have everything else covered..I am using another 2 varieties of wheat next year just to play with...will sow a touch later on the lease block to over come eyespot and some disease...plus a strong fungicide program...

Ant...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a response back from WA agronomist...pretty much all root disease...I have beans going in next year so that will give disease a kick...have a spray program now ect..

Question is my new lease block...sounds like I need to start with beans...but having 100% faba beans next year makes me nervous....I can go wheat but will cost a bit to grow...maybe barley a better option....I am in for some fun but by looks...

Ant...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will sleep like a baby next year...all faba beans...game is a giggle!

Trying to work out what is best after grass...wheat or barley? But so far it looks like beans will be it grrr...will see how the trial yields...

Ant...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For $50 bucks I want more than head....I mean full wheat heads...

Beans will be in this paddock next year and possibly year after...if not will be spring barley and Lucerne.

As for lease block...maybe beans...

Toolondo is due for a legume as well...maybe beans lol!

Ant...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went to Millicent today to drop off wheat plants to send away to pathology at Sardi.

After inspecting plants it would appear majority of issue is eyespot with some crown rot, the black mould is a fungi that feeds on dead plant material and is not root cause of issue...given the crop was soaked from day 1 it never had much hope...especially since I couldn't get on to spray...

Jumped in ute with agro and went on tour...well worth the effort...inspected a crop of Forrest a bit later sown..cracking crop 6t/ha plus...found blank heads just like mine...crop is healthy and no disease...all standing...big heads...why the blanks...they are early heads..susing that out...went to paddock next door that had sentinel wheat..healthy crop 5t/ha..smaller heads than Forrest and earlier finishing...same deal some blank heads...not take all or crown rot as they are whiteish...hmm we say...the later sowing of Forrest helps to narrow the timeframe it throws heads over...so if conditions allow it's the way to go for that variety...will I keep using it...jury still out.

Jumped in ute went to crop of manning....OMG..impressive...alot of heads with 80 odd grains plus...stems like gum trees..very late finishing...throws heads very evenly however..no blanks...catch it grows alot of foliage..so prone to leaf disease...crop only had around 400 heads sqm and you need 600 to make some impressive numbers...will play with this variety but looks the goods...only a feed wheat as well...Forrest in the area had eyespot this had none...early sown...a real UK style of wheat...

Had a look at some broad beans...unreal...and I thought I had weed problems!...crazy..but they will live through anything...

Had a look at a new canola variety 971 I think? It was 3 foot taller than the fence!! 5t/ha possible...but cost of growing and $420 a tonne price?...

Had a look at a crop,of Forrest cut for hay...went 14t/ha...at $220-250 a tonne ish..thats good bucks...

Had a look at some barley as well...as long as you can get on to spray..it doesn't get eyespot so this will be 2nd crop on lease block..safe option...then maybe beans again then manning and Forrest wheat...the barley heads 16 grains tall ...spring barley 10-12...plus Lucerne and no chemical..maybe some net blotch spray...

Conclusions...no winter wheat on my block!! However it will be best block for beans and spring barley Lucerne mix...and silage corn? On contract. Spring canola or monola also option...

Lease block will be best for cereals..winter sown..beans will be ok but may run short of moisture on top of hills where dirt is poorer...same for spring barley Lucerne mix...maybe a bit risky...??

Forrest wheat at toolondo...is cracking...the heads coming out unevenly for frost protection is great..it tillers of stuff all fert...maybe one fungicide spray and some top ups of UAN..and she good to go...handles some wheat..finishes pretty well in the dry...looked at alot of wheat crops on Sunday around me...I'd be surprised if anyone had a higher yield and if we had spring rain it would have smoked any crop...

A good day!...it's been a blessing in disguise having these issues early...even though it's painful dollars wise I have learnt heaps for future crops and tried other options...found that Forrest works where it shouldn't...and feel alt more confident handling Portland micro climate.

Ant...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.