The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just finished up harvesting wheat in West Texas where we are more of a ranch than a farm (notice the fences) and graze everything we plant. We usally only cut what the animals (goats and sheep) cannot eat. Had perfect weather for two weeks straight. Moister was right around 11%. This 7720 ran like a champ with no major or minor problems or breakdowns. Runs as good as the day we bought it. These pics are taken in just one of the fields.

Harvest Buddy

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Shane, those are outstanding photos!

Yes, you have really captured some nice images and the harvest itself, not just the combine, only, although it is the real focal point of the harvest.

That 7720 also looks very nice, too. That's the real, true way I like to see combines in their fields, too. Just enough dust and dirt on them to make them look like the true, working machines they are, especially for that age, but not so much crud to make them gross, either.
I've always been quite partial to 7720's.

The baby fawn is cute, too. That one can't be more than a couple of weeks old. Best to put it back, and maybe later, have some venison.
I'm glad you raise sheep and goats. We don't get too many caprine ranchers on here. It seems cattle rule, and that's okay, but I've always like the smaller stock. Goats are a favorite.

Take good care of that 7720, too. It can last many, many more good years on your ranch.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:Nice pics. Looks like good wheat. Any idea of the yield?? That 7720 looks real good. Do you use it on alot of acres in a year?

Thanks for the nice words. It yielded around 55 bu/ac. Would have been a little more if it weren't for the freeze damage. Ran about 300 acres through the machine this year. Hard to guess how much we run through it yearly since we didn't even cut last year because of the drought. Don't usally average much more than 300 acres when we do cut.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi

Great pictures and very nice looking 7720! I too am quite partial to the 7720 as that is the combine I grew up on and the first combine I drove. I myself live in town, but ever since I have been 5 years old, I have been helping out on my cousions farm during wheat harvest, and the 7720 was the combine he had at the time when I first started driving combines. He unfortunately sold it in 2003 and bought a 9610( which is also a great combine), however his old 7720 will always be my favourite combine. They were practically bullet proof in my opnion and were a great combine. I have always loved the sound of the 20 series Titan and Titan II's hydro and engine as they are throttling up. You can't beat that sound. There are still a bunch of 7720's/6620's in my area but sadly they are slowly starting to be retired. And yes, they can last a long time. When my cousion sold his 7720, he had over 8,000+ seperator hours on it and she still ran like she was new. When my cousion owned her he really took great care of her, and did all the proper maintence and never had any major troubles. He also vacumed the cab out every night and cleaned the windows as well. He also never let her sit out side as well.( He currently is treating his 9610 the same way as his 7720 was treated) The combine had her orginal paint when she left the farm and still shined like new! It was hard for me to see the old 7720 leave my cousions farm, as I had a lot of great memories of that combine. I was heartbroke to learn that the new owner is not taking good care of my cousions 7720's. It kinda hurt my cousion too. It is sad to see such a well taken care of, 23+ year old 7720, that my cousion had suddenly be neglected by it's new owner. I wished I could have bought her and kept her in tip top shape and do a little custom harvesting on the side. Sorry for the rant, but do keep her going as your 7720 can easily last over 30- 40 years. When I hear that Country Song: "Built to Last" I always think of the 20 series Titan and Titan II combines. Take Care Jason B

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's hard for me to tell, but, is that a 230 rigid head? If it is, how does the 7720 handle it?

Below is one of our 2 8820 Titan II's.

·
Registered
238 Posts
[quote author=8820titan2 board=JD thread=1181409478 post=1181808549]It's hard for me to tell, but, is that a 230 rigid head? If it is, how does the 7720 handle it?

I think I can read 230 in the first picture.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it's a 230 rigid head. We use the machine to cut wheat, oats maize, and sesame. The machine came with a 224 I think, but we bought the 230 near Lubbock a year after we bought the combine. The only way it can handle a 30' head is by driving slower. Like I mentioned in another post, we travel around 3.0-3.5 in 50 bu/ac wheat. But 50 bu/ac wheat is not common for us either, it usally gets around 20-30 bu/ac. Ralf, thanks for the nice words.

Hears a pick of the header cutting oats in May:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts