The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
I concur with Alex, man that is one nice clean, weed free crop of wheat.
Thanks for the pics.
Being from Ireland, we used to think that Americans didn't have a clue in knowing how to grow a descent crop of wheat, just ran around with wide headed combines in hi gear clipping the heads off. Well, lemme tell ya, after having lived over here now for a good number of years, I've got an eye opener after seeing some of the best wheat crops on the planet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The two swathers are a 4400 Versatile and a 830 John Deere. Two units that have been in retirement but decided to come out of retirement as long as they can pick their own hours in which to work.
The reason we swath is because it is rather humid and because of the high fertility in the ground from the previous corn crop, the straw stays a little tough. Some guys spray Roundup on their wheat but it takes about two weeks for that to dry out the straw also. I enjoy swathing because that is how we did it when we were kids. We have a real nice crop and I am glad because the poor corn and beans are really suffering right now because of little or no rain.
Next week I will be putting away the swathers and pickup heads for their nap until next summer.
Tr

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cool pictures. It isn't often that you see two New Holland TR's working in the same field. Combining windrowed wheat is easy and kinda fun. I was wondering what part of west central Minnesota are you from?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have finished the wheat, only had 240 acres. The wheat ran about 65-70 BPA. Very good quality. The protein was about 1 point lower than last year. 14% is about where we are at. This field is about 120 miles west of the Twin Cities. I also like to combine wheat that has been windrowed. We need rain for the corn and beans now, if you have some to spare send some my way.
Tr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts