The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got started yesterday on the 1000 acres of wheat I have to cut, yields are all over the place. The test weights are unbelieveable, the lowest thats been hauled to the elevator is 62 pounds, they are taking in some 66lb wheat at my local elevator. The highest Ive taken in so far weighed just over 64lbs. The first 250 acres thats in its 2nd year of no-til are doing in the mid 30's to the lower 40's. The rest of it thats been no-till for the better part of a decade is lookin like 60-80. What im seeing is foliar feeding and switching to no-til pays off extremely well. Got a little rain shower last night so I have time to put my go-pro camera mounts on my combine, make some video's in the coming days.

I would have been goin a few days earlier, but I nearly destroyed the agco stripper header before I even got it in the field. For one reason or another since I installed the new shelborne teeth on the header a few weeks ago the table auger in the header got seized against the stripper plate and when I kicked on the header clutch outside the shop to make sure eveything was working okay it turned the driveline into a twist tie then took the gearbox and all the belts/chain and moved them outward about a foot and a half. Bent the shaft that runs the driveline on the combine and broke off the splined stubshaft that connects the variable speed to the header. It was a mess to say the least, so much of a mess I didnt take pictures of the carnage. The dents in my header are enough of a reminder as to what happened and what can happen to anyone was within 10' of that driveline when it came off. After about 6 hours and a come along it pulled back and was able to get it 99% straight. Stay safe everyone

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yields sound great, sorry to hear about the rough start...atleast no one was hurt. Metal is easy to replace, people aren't. Looking forward to some video action!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heres the first vid I've cut, its pretty short and the camera vibrates alot more than I thought it would.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's another vid from harvest, this was the best field of wheat we have ever raised since my father began farming 40 years ago. I have alot more videos but it will take some time to get them edited so its not so boring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts