The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there has come up with a good invention to stop wheat heads from building up on the front of the feederhouse. The pic I attached was taken in the morning before we started so it has been cleaned off but I am sure you know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The forward beater drum at the front of the feeder house contributes to the build-up sometimes with some outflow material being dusted forward when a light crop is being cut.
The reel batts will also lift some wheat stalks up on to the feeder house if the reel speed is too high.

I was thinking of a simple vacuum system working in conjunction with the feeder chains to keep everything moving in and aft. I'd rather see a good invention for elimination of that dust cloud behind combines.

·
Registered
632 Posts
We don't have one.I've never seen one in person and I've never seen a closeup pic of this before but it looks like this is an area of potential crop loss not only to the top(debris on the feederhouse)but off to the sides of this crop intake area?
I could be totally off on this but could you attach something like used conveyor belting(gravel-type perhaps?)to span this open area on top?I'm thinking of attaching it on one square tube or the other but not on both so as to allow for flexing.You'd also need to slot this piece to allow it to straddle the center turnbuckle assembly.Then cut some pieces to sort of enclose the area to the sides.You may not eliminate all of the spillage but it would cut down on it a bunch.
But maybe you need this area to be open to watch crop flow?Like I say I've no experience with this but what I suggested may help.Good Luck

·
Registered
530 Posts
Its not a draper thing, I assure you, I used to run ugly masseys, they did the same thing, 7700s did, 8820s did, my 50 with 936D does. Sealing the area between the sub frame and main frame will stop what little there is up there from falling off maybe with side channelling but my bat reel every so often will kick up a head here and there, not a rpm issue or height issue either because the reel has to be used to offer good feeding, to a certain extent. Had a customer of mine ask one time about the buildup on the feeder house and a small pile on top of the cab from filling the extensions too high of rough ground,,,, I asked him " you ever seen lint stuck to a cotton picker?" Its called mechanized harvest, it happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts