The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im looking at buying a 10 buy 41 auger to throw in a container to take back to the uk think it might be handy

looking at flamans they have the new type there with intergral hopper on the bottom aimed at for under hopper bins only my qestion is has any one got one and what do you like and not
we have a 2012 8 buy 51 thats been a great auger the vangaurd motor i cant speak high enough on that

just wants some input on this new idea i wanted a demo but there demo auger someone bent the intake so couldnt be used

· Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Do they not have augers over in the UK? Just thinking it might be hard to get parts if you ever need them for a Canadian built auger.

· Premium Member
374 Posts
I have a 10x41 and it is awesome. The hopper on the bottom really pushes the auger to its max. I would recommend to anyone with this auger to put the hopper on. The only downside is it makes that end of the auger a bit heavier which makes it harder to steer when moving it around.

· Registered
683 Posts
I have an 8 and a 10 with the hopper on. Not too impressed with it really. It doesn't clean out easily, heavy as already mentioned, not cheap, extra moving parts.
Really if you want a hopper there are a lot of other options that do the same job for cheaper and easier.
The main reason I had one on the auger at first was because I was using the auger to load the drill and the hopper fits under trailers really well. I have since bought a Reliabelt conveyor and removed the hopper from the 8 inch. Left it on the 10 inch auger so far until seeding since we use it for fertilizer and can't clean out before a rain.

· Registered
1,604 Posts
Do they not have augers over in the UK? Just thinking it might be hard to get parts if you ever need them for a Canadian built auger.

Its an auger which is made of components im sure he can source parts. The engine being a briggs and Stratton will be easiest. The hydraulic parts are likely just common Rexroth or eaton or whatever. The Flighting is the same on all augers regardless of brand its Uniflyte I believe. I think it would be an easy unit to repair without parts. Believing you can only buy parts for it from Flaman is like believing that John Deere make their plus 50 or their batteries and that you have to buy that for your green machine.

· Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I never said anything about parts being just available at Flamans. Just trying to make a point that it is easier to get parts when you have a dealer nearby. Instead of going through a third party that has to search for parts that they don't stock. Also some augers do have their own brand specific parts made in house. Which could also be easily made at a machine shop if you have the time.

· Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank guys for the in put yes they do have augers ove r there but not moving ones as augers arnt used that much over there

only reason im looking at an auger is i think it would work well in our grain store

as for parts i can have parts from uk to canada in 4 days so going the other way should be no differnt i think i will have no problem sourcing parts if needed i should beable to go to wheathert direct for parts if im calling from the uk maybe ?

ok so one guy likes it one hates it i must admit i never thought about making it heavey on that end since they narrowed up the wheel track of the front castor wheels i think our 8 buy 51is harder to move around than our old one with wider stance maybe upgrading the castor wheels to wider ones might help that farmer fix idea lol

· Registered
1,618 Posts
I just got one, I really like it. Have the wheat heart 8x36 and the 10" is built way heavier, load a super b in 25 min, the 8" was like an hour.

Also I just use a poly hopper ratchet strapped to auger, works the same way.

· Registered
1,732 Posts
The only thing that ever concerned me with the Wheatheart was the wimpy looking gearbox. Has anyone ever had problems with that? I have only run Sakundiak and I have never had one of those apart. To me the Wheatheart ones look to be designed to be replaced every time the flyting wears out! IMO

· Registered
2,015 Posts
The only thing that ever concerned me with the Wheatheart was the wimpy looking gearbox. Has anyone ever had problems with that? I have only run Sakundiak and I have never had one of those apart. To me the Wheatheart ones look to be designed to be replaced every time the flyting wears out! IMO
Your not far off. Shortly after second tube and flighting on my 10x41 gearbox starting howling. It didn't self destruct, we just put new bearings in it. I haven't measured pulleys but it does auger faster then my 10x39 Sakundiak but I'm pretty sure the Sak. flighting is running slower. Overall bang for buck I'd probably take a Wheatheart.

· Premium Member
3,108 Posts
The gearbox was my first concern when I brought my 10x41' auger home 8 years ago. Had to replace the gearbox last year but the flighting was also wore out. So it has probably moved close to 4000 tonne of fertilizer plus a million bushels of grain. So I'm not to concerned about replacing a gearbox. The hardest thing on the gearbox is the electric clutch because you are always engaging the auger while it is full and especially while it is plugged and you are almost killing the engine dead trying to get it going again.

· Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dose a 10 buy 41 plug often then ive never plugged an auger yet weather it be fert of grain wet or dry our old 8 51 wheat heart the flighting was shot when i traded it off but never put a gear box on that never plugged it thats for sure
never even plugged a swing out auger saying that always enough power up front i guess

one thing we have done on the last two augers is pull the end off the plastic cap where the drive chain is and put a liter or so of 80 90 gear oil in there to mix with the grease really quitens the auger down just the grease up in there dose nothing we found just spreads to the outside and dose not lube

· Registered
2,015 Posts
I also think the gearbox got an update on the BRs.

One other thing that should not be overlooked is the grease filled cover on the top chain and sprocket. I am still on the original chain and sprockets. Which is impressive.
The real weak spot on the BH was the top shaft or should I say pipe welded to the sprocket stub shaft.

· Registered
95 Posts
We have one 4-5 years old. Won't be buying another. It 's front end heavy and hard to steer. We modified the left front castor by mounting an pipe straight up and handle on it, so at least you can steer one of the tires and kinda get it to turn. Theres a shearbolt thats right behind the gearbox on the drive shaft that likes to break every so often and usually when empty. Even put grade 8 bolts in. Have replaced the upper drive chain yearly, and to top it all off the top tube has worn out along the channel on the right side. I started patching it and it just snowballed, its worn the whole way up. A new upper tube took 6 weeks to get from Saskatoon. Just nicely got the top tube home and the lower tube has 6-8 holes worn through on the underside of the tube. Ordered a new bottom tube in Januaury, have'nt got a call to say its in at the local dealer. So its a duct tape queen at the moment. I loaded grain at a neighbors a few years ago and he had a sakundiak, seemed very similar speed wise, but was a lot smoother running auger.
Needless to say had an Elias Reliabelt show up for a demo and its still here. The wheatheart will get little use from now on.

· Registered
1,223 Posts
I don't fault your plan. But I do the product.
Get a sakundiak. Judging from other posts regarding your new farm size you will never wear this auger out

Reactions: Oliver 88

· Registered
233 Posts
I really like my R841 so far, definitely some well thought out changes from the previous series. the narrow castor wheels bothered me a bit first off, but they did change something in that transport that allows that auger to get dead center in a 19' bin, didn't do that on the previous series..... Seem to move grain faster too ( bigger intake) that being said they are definitely lighter built than a sakundiak

· Registered
3,683 Posts
I haven't been looking at the Wheat Heart augers lately and was wondering if the 41 foot 10" had a break in the tube and flighting so it can be broken down into a shorter package for shipping. I can see that being an issue with a Sakundiadk as I assume they are still all one piece, flighting and tube with no flange joints. So for shipping, any auger that had flange joints will be the more handy unit for sending across the ocean I would think unless they have ways of carting long objects on a ship without too much added expense.

· Registered
2,270 Posts
The bloody sheer pin by the gear box is a pain in the ass (on a 8-51) fixed it by putting in two roll pins. One inside the other

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.