The Combine Forum banner

Wheat on oat stubble

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bradw2 
#1 ·
Have a bit of oat stubble which was mostly canola the year before. Have enough other ground going to canola as planned. I was considering seeding wheat to spread out my rotation. I was wondering if there is enough of a yield drag to discourage this. Oats on oats not good practice. Neighbour did it and even with a good fungicide program seen a large yield drag. My options look like wheat or canola.

#2 ·
never done it with oats but I have with durum and barley stubble - and it basically comes to this - 80% yield and 80% value bc of lower protein (so basically 2/3 of normal crop). an extra 40lb of nitrogen (I top dress but probably can go with the drill too) and a shot of fungicide brings it back to where it should be on protein and yield. up to you whether that ~$50 / ac is worth it or not...... this year bc no herbicide residues and a little more moisture from catching snow in a late april blizzard my wheat on cereal stubble out yielded the pulse stubble but would call that a very rare anomaly!

not sure how they do in your area but peas or faba beans option as well.... $4/ ac of assure will knock out all the vol oats. without doing gobs of fertilizer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.