The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic has been discussed on several occasions, just wondering what everyone is growing now, and why?
Been growing Brandon, it’s never missed a beat, thinking of trying something different for 21. How are the new wheat varieties comparing to durum as far as yield goes? Brandon for the most part is keeping up and some cases beating durum yields. I grow Alloy as my durum variety.
With the weather situation in the states wheat “could” be a sleeper. But then again it has 100 lives.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Been using this durum variety Fortitude and have been very happy. No lodging, pretty good yielder and high protein usually not hard to get a top grade with a little help from mother nature. Not sure what its like for fusarium as we haven't had a lot of pressure in the past 3 or 4 yrs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Right now, we don’t have any wheat planned. Can’t make it work on paper compared to oats or corn. If we were growing wheat, it would probably be prosper. In our area, Feed mills are paying more for good feed (just have to meet vomi and ergot specs, protein does not matter) wheat than the elevators are paying for #1 13.5 hard red spring.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the price of wheat you need big bushels to make it comparable to growing durum.
Looking at Viewfield for an alternative to Brandon.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Landmark the last few yrs..
Had Hughes before that..Better protien with Hughes but not as good standability..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Another question I have is cleaning your own seed is there a yield penalty versus buying new seed. 2017 was the last year I bought Brandon wheat and have been cleaning my own seed since so 2021 will be the fourth batch.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question I have is cleaning your own seed is there a yield penalty versus buying new seed. 2017 was the last year I bought Brandon wheat and have been cleaning my own seed since so 2021 will be the fourth batch.
I’m in the same situation ... 4 yrs with the same seed. Germ and vigour in the 90s. Maybe time to try a new variety.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The biggest issue you get is reversion to parent lines, additional outcrosses (very limited in wheat) contamination from other varieties the further you are from breeder seed. Whether that hurts your yield or more importantly Net profit, I’m not sure. You would have to do strip trials to know for sure. For pedigreed seed production, there are requirements for previous land use as well as crop inspectors looking for impurities within the field. Technically certified seed you buy could all ready be 9 generations removed from breeder. You have breeder seed to select seed, then you can go select to select up to 5 times, then select to foundation, foundation to registered then registered to certified. New varieties will be at lot less than this as they want to get to market fast. You may have breeder to select, then select to foundation then foundation to certified.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Wheat just hasn't pencilled out here either last 2 yrs. Especially this year. I had Jan 2022 feed Barley trigger at $5.70. If I didn't have my canola bought already my acres would be all barley this yr. Pushed my legumes these past few yrs and not growing canola isn't a bad idea from the disease aspect of it. Great disease packages in barley and my cereal rotation is fine. Likely every thing you grow can make a buck or 2 but barley is just easy and early to boot.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can get $6.08 for barley April. Have some Synergy left might just take that price into the feed market. Not seeding barley as acres are going through the roof. Hoping most drop wheat and grow barley. But ... there’s so much wheat in the world, don’t think it matters if Canada cuts acres.
Maybe just stick with durum .. I’m so confused. 😂😂😎😎

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
We need a crystal ball to know what lies ahead. In all actuality prices are where they should be. Inflation in machinery prices have went up 10X what they were back then. Inputs have tripled and even more than that depending on what you buy. Canola seed, well that is just outright crazy how much more it has cost. 12-13X what it was in the 80's. You could get just about 9-10$ for canola back then and 5-6$ wheat. $3.50 and $3.75 malt. Land prices were heck of a lot easier to swallow back then too. Interest rates skyrocketed then too. I remember getting 20% on a 1 yr term deposit. I managed to save $2000 working 1 winter and made 400 interest. Thought I hit the jackpot lol. Interest on loans skyrocketed too. Many farms took a big hit and folded and then the 95 cent barley and $4 wheat of the early 90's and $5.80 canola put those teetering with bankruptcy over the edge. Wheat board didn't help those yrs either holding a percentage of your money up to 2 yrs. Hard times to say the least with that interest hike. It could happen again soon you never know.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Hehe don’t really matter what I seed. If it rains I’ll do ok. If it don’t it does not matter

Reactions: bauerr and Oat King

·
Registered
126 Posts
We need a crystal ball to know what lies ahead. In all actuality prices are where they should be. Inflation in machinery prices have went up 10X what they were back then. Inputs have tripled and even more than that depending on what you buy. Canola seed, well that is just outright crazy how much more it has cost. 12-13X what it was in the 80's. You could get just about 9-10$ for canola back then and 5-6$ wheat. $3.50 and $3.75 malt. Land prices were heck of a lot easier to swallow back then too. Interest rates skyrocketed then too. I remember getting 20% on a 1 yr term deposit. I managed to save $2000 working 1 winter and made 400 interest. Thought I hit the jackpot lol. Interest on loans skyrocketed too. Many farms took a big hit and folded and then the 95 cent barley and $4 wheat of the early 90's and $5.80 canola put those teetering with bankruptcy over the edge. Wheat board didn't help those yrs either holding a percentage of your money up to 2 yrs. Hard times to say the least with that interest hike. It could happen again soon you never know.
Absolutely right. These really aren’t amazing prices. They are now where they should be. Equipment costs are absolutely ridiculous. Input costs keep rising.

We grow Landmark wheat. Good variety. Short strong straw. Outyields Brandon when there is midge pressure. Holds quality better than Brandon. Have heard Starbuck is an awesome variety.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Redberry for early maturity, had a farm record with it last year. Plentiful, as it seems to do well here and holds grade with solid protein.
Trying Viewfield on some land that we have a hard time keeping wheat stand while pushing yield.

·
Registered
616 Posts
13 PLUS dollar per bushel new crop canola and increasing every day , canola will we be a sea of yellow from Winnipeg to Calgary? Odds are fertilizer will hit record use this year! I will be pushing yield.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
830$ canola future this am, historic record high.
Will there be a “1“ digit on the front of the nearby?!

I remember when the nearby canola future broke 700$’s...in 1984.
That would be way over 1000$’s today.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts