The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 928G wheel loader. It has 20.5x 25 tires. Looking for more floatation and traction while loading manure. Thinking about 23.1x26 or 28L26 tires. Just wondering if anyone made the switch and liked it or had any advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I think ag tires won't have enough load rating for a loader, and they won't last long either. Get some Michelin XLHA tires, good traction and they clean well.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
There is no ag or skidder tire built that comes close to built to the same specs as a loader tire, massive difference in sidewall construction and strength. On some of the smaller loaders you can get away with an ag type tire, but if I remember correctly a 928 is about a two yard machine which should scale in over 12 ton static, and while the heaviest ply available ag tire may carry the machine, particularly the front tires would never stand up to use IMO.

Not familiar with the specific ones mentioned by Harsh, but there are different tread patterns available that do function better in slippery conditions, of course these come at additional cost.

Easiest fix and one very often seen in the oilpatch and pipeyards for both ice or mud, and that is a set of skidder chains on the front axle. We had 25 inch on our fleet of FiatAllis loaders in my Raydan days, some wider than others, but none were any good on ice or snot. We did get a couple of sets of tires with a more broken up tread and they did make a bit of difference on two machines that we couldn't put chains on as they had run back and forth thru Nisku to our second yard or the rail spur to unload rail cars of tubing. But those tires cost almost as much as the loaders were worth themselves:eek:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I have seen several feedlots in southern alberta running that tire on their loaders the real heavy tires are still grossly overloaded but most factory ag tires especially two wheel tractors run about double the weight the tires are rated for we had a mx170 case ih once that came with only 8 ply tires we blew a couple doing loader work then switched to a heavier tire but we where lifting more than double that tires rated capacity. The tires I listed can be rated for up to 5000lbs each which is no where near loader capacity but remember loading bales and silage a loader isn't handling much more weight than a regular farm tractor. Our farm tractors load 2 1650lb alfalfa bales at a time or 4000 lbs+ of manure if the load isn't loading 3 yards of gravel it should hold up. Our farm tractors weigh 22,000lbs and 20,500lbs so around the same weight as a 928 also though the loaders I seen are usually case 521s which are a size smaller more similar to a 924. I think with common sense you would be fine or if weight capacity is more critical than tractor try other tread types of loader tires or chains as alberta buck stated if its not going very far, Chains are likely your cheapest bet unless you can find 16 ply skidder tires to fit those rims getting rims made can be pricey

·
Registered
609 Posts
We run a "tractor" tread pattern on two of our 938Gs and they're much better in manure than the one with "rock" tread (see pictures of someone else's nice clean loaders ;)), although they tend to wear a bit faster but that may just be the brand. I can't remember the exact size or brand and I'm in NE for the next 3 weeks but if someone wants to know I could try and find out.

Tractor tread pattern

Rock tread pattern

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My big loader has directional tires like dairy shows in the top photo. They are older firestones, 25.5 x 25 iirc.

I think you better stick with loader tires rather than try ag tires. The first time somebody tries to curl the bucket with it stuck in an icy pile I think the ag tires will blow. With bucket breakout force you can put about 50% more than the loaders actual weight on the front axle only.

If you need more force to penetrate frozen piles try teeth on the bucket.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The tires on my wheel loader r fairly useless when trying to clean pens, picked up a set of chains and it made a huge difference

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
just buy a jcb 414 with ag tires you will throw any of these cat jd loaders on the scap pile after using one of them they run ag tires no issue i used one for 5000 hours no issue no blow outs and awesome in the ****

·
Registered
609 Posts
just buy a jcb 414 with ag tires you will throw any of these cat jd loaders on the scap pile after using one of them they run ag tires no issue i used one for 5000 hours no issue no blow outs and awesome in the ****
Why did I have a feeling it would be something about a jcb when I saw your name :(

BTW, a Cat 938G like I posted has a breakout force higher than the operating weight of your beloved JCB, let alone having twice the breakout force of it. Carry on :cool:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
ok ill get as modern as you with your cat lets keep this fair jcb 436 agri beats the cat on ever level the cat i drove last year had a really dated cab not even forward n reverse on the joy stick

still say 414 416 would be better with ag tires when loading out muck ever thought it maybe too heavey

·
Registered
609 Posts
ok ill get as modern as you with your cat lets keep this fair jcb 436 agri beats the cat on ever level the cat i drove last year had a really dated cab not even forward n reverse on the joy stick

still say 414 416 would be better with ag tires when loading out muck ever thought it maybe too heavey
The point is that you specifically stated that a 414 would "throw any of these cat jd loaders on the scap pile after using one of them". That was proven to be false. I'm not here to debate loaders since all you'll ever want is a JCB.

I'm not even gonna start with the bigger loader or cab parts of your reply, that'll just put this thread further into the hole.

He asked about tires, not loaders. Get back to the point of the thread...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The point is that you specifically stated that a 414 would "throw any of these cat jd loaders on the scap pile after using one of them". That was proven to be false. I'm not here to debate loaders since all you'll ever want is a JCB.

I'm not even gonna start with the bigger loader or cab parts of your reply, that'll just put this thread further into the hole.

He asked about tires, not loaders. Get back to the point of the thread...
414 proberly would throw um on the scape heap cant get worse than cat engines
bt getting back to thread ag tires wold be fine on that size of tire maybe 28 inch would be better

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Just short of 13 tons for the loader the OP mentioned. Please, either contribute something worthwhile or get out.
Agreed

:D:D:D

I think some people need to read my signature line below....:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts