The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We seeded our crop this year with a new rig. Deere Conservapak with a 550 tbh tank, and a twin anhydrous setup on a terragator tricycle style cart with the large flotation tires behind that. We are used to seeing wheel tracks emerge a little quicker from the extra packing but usually by weed spraying time things are pretty much evened out. This year those tracks are far enough ahead that staging for fungicide in our wheat and canola was really tough. Wheat in the wheel tracks was fully headed and flowering and outside the tracks heads would be just poking out. I am wondering if our packing was just not adequate. We have always used a tow behind with the anhyd behind that. We are on a sandy loam soil and even though we seeded some very wet ground emergence in the wheel tracks was really no issue. In our sandier soils does that v packer just not exert the pressure we need? Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think that your root development is poor in the wheel tracks and those plants are running out of moisture or n sooner and going to seed shorter and less developed which means less yield in the wheel tracks. We have the same issue and the wheat and canola is always shorter smaller plant smaller head. We slipped at 7-12% most of the spring due to the wet ground and it's really noticeable this year.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Wheel tracks are very noticeable do to the very wet conditions. In some cases guys with quad tracks have wheat in the tracks that is half the height or less of the rest of the field. I have never seen it as bad as this year.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our issue is the opposite. Our tracks are where the good crop is, taller, more advanced and better plant population. Hence my concern on packing. If I remember right we were running 1100 to 1400 on the guage, tranlates to somewhere around 120lbs. Between the cart and anhydrous wagon we had tires covering 16ft down the middle of every pass and that is where our crop is the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.