The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at my concaves I'm wondering if they are just worn out or not. I know my wires are shot, for what it will cost to replace all the wires I'm halfway to what new concaves would cost so I'm wondering if that's just what I should do. I'd kinda like to give the Kile concaves a try anyway.

Here are some pics:

Its hard to tell in that last pic, but the centers are worn down about 1/8" compared to the edges.

Several years ago my father put hard surfacing powder along the edges of the bars. It has reduced the wear, but I'm beginning to wonder if that was the right thing to do or not since they don't retain they sharp edges when you do that.

FYI, I harvest wheat, barley, and canola with these. I use a stripper header for the wheat and barley.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
By the looks of it ....... they’re f..ked!

I’ve had very good results with Loewen (now A&I) concaves in John Deere CTS & STS machines, & huge improvements with deep wire helical A&I modules in Case flagship machines.
When you install new modules, just make sure the concave frame is level & centre to the rotor. Plus, make sure all the vanes (cone & cage) are in first class condition. Same goes for the rotor bars.
Often you can look at all this a say to yourself: “they look OK for another year”. It’s only when you replace them with new do you fully realise how worn out those bits are.

Concaves & rotor bars are cheap compared to poor productivity.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the looks of it ....... they’re f..ked!

I’ve had very good results with Loewen (now A&I) concaves in John Deere CTS & STS machines, & huge improvements with deep wire helical A&I modules in Case flagship machines.
When you install new modules, just make sure the concave frame is level & centre to the rotor. Plus, make sure all the vanes (cone & cage) are in first class condition. Same goes for the rotor bars.
Often you can look at all this a say to yourself: “they look OK for another year”. It’s only when you replace them with new do you fully realise how worn out those bits are.

Concaves & rotor bars are cheap compared to poor productivity.
Thanks for your input!

I totally agree with you that combine productivity is much more important that trying to save a few bucks by running threshing hardware past its useful life. Sounds like new concaves are in my future.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks for your input!

I totally agree with you that combine productivity is much more important that trying to save a few bucks by running threshing hardware past its useful life. Sounds like new concaves are in my future.
Don't say things like this. Then I'm going to be guilted into replacing my worn out concaves vs. saving money but potentially wasting grain.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Replace your rotor bars before the head of the bolt gets so worn down you can't get it out.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Replace your rotor bars before the head of the bolt gets so worn down you can't get it out.
Hmmmm ..... thats possibly a little too far. 😁

I think it’s when you can’t read the writing on the bolt head ...... but that’s presuming both rotor bar & bolt were installed in the machine the same time.
Just get a new one & compare it with your worn one. If it’s worn back at the front on the rasps & the height of the rasps are worn down ...... just replace them.
After all, they are relatively cheap in the scheme of efficiency gains.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts