The Combine Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
True we do grow a lot of straw and it can be green and tough when we go combining. There are neighbors with the 590, 770 and 780 Claas machines with 35 foot heads, and thats all they can handle.
I meant more because of field size and getting around, if you have 320 acres in one field here that's pretty damn big, and roads are busy and too narrow, a lot of times I will even drop our 35' heads unless it's just a couple miles.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've wondered about changing the angle of the rotor and making it a little steeper. I know it presents a problem with crop flow but would think you could remedy that with different bars. However my 1st grade understanding of physics suggests that if you would make it steeper you would theoretically let gravity work more for you in separation.
Maybe but the AGCO axials have proved for 30 plus years that flat or near flat is just as good if not better.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've wondered about changing the angle of the rotor and making it a little steeper. I know it presents a problem with crop flow but would think you could remedy that with different bars. However my 1st grade understanding of physics suggests that if you would make it steeper you would theoretically let gravity work more for you in separation.

But how much of your separation is due to gravity and how much due to centrifugal force?

Isn’t that why higher rotor rpm helps separation so much?

I’d think increased rotor speed will give you better bang for buck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Was it simply a red NH or substantial differences between either existing platform?
There were substantial differences. I never personally saw the machine but from what I understand it is essentially a red machine with twin ST rotors.

So they think they can improve their performance preserving the single rotor design with a little bit bigger dimensions, and combining this with an automation system.

I don't understand why they are testing (with good performances too) a twin rotor machine in Europe if they want to stay detached from NH, could this be the new disguised CR?
Correct. The single rotor is the entire CIH brand, the twin rotor is a NH thing. It sounds silly but there is a lot of ego involved in the marketing decisions. Myself and others BEGGED to get a twin rotor machine, especially as equipment prices went down the drain and we lost customers to Deere.

Where automation is really supposed to shine is at the end of a 10 hour day when you’re dog tired and don’t care how much volunteer corn you’re letting go, or you don't realize you’re staring to get some unseparated wheat in the bin. Or when all the harvesters good help has to go back to school and he has to hire little Ricky from in town just to get his customers crop off. Plop him in the machine, turn on automation and tell him not to touch anything.

Ncf7.3 Do you work for the companies or something? Just the way you talk or type. I think you know more than the avg
I just have to say that the automation is worth all the money.
Even tho it’s a lot of money!
I’ll take canola for instance. The automation is all ways adjusting to the conditions and the sample is Awesome.
We have two units going we Tried one with it on and the other off. Weighed on the scale and automation was yielding us 0.9-1.4 bushel more every time. Who ever was putting in the values to program the automation was not sleeping that day!
I wish it had automation for every crop.
I used work for CNH Industrial as a combine field test engineer. I spent a few years testing the automation system and making many comparison runs as you just described, with mixed results, and sending THOUSANDS of graincam photos for the database. I made runs against new guys working for custom harvesters who knew little about adjusting a combine, I made runs against myself, beating the automation system a lot of the time. I harvested corn with a farmer in Illinois who has been farming 10,000 acres for years and I did a two day test against him. Two 12 hour days, he ran the machine in manual for 12 hours, then he ran the machine using automation/feedrate for 12 hours. I’ll tell ya, there were a lot of hurt feelings in the office when that report was sent.

You are correct though, canola showed some real promise when I tested with it. I harvested about 600 ha in Australia using a varifeed header and I was really impressed. I spent an entire day manually separating grain samples but when it was all said and done the machine blew me out of the water as far as losses and sample quality were concerned.

I would look for the system to be expanding to more crops in the future, I’d say rice is probably next on the list. They tried reaching to include popcorn when before releasing the system but I’m glad we talked them of that.

I’d be interested to get somebody’s feedback on automation performance in soybeans.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yeah soybeans. We did soys last year and we found it to be as good in soys as canola.
personally I think the ability to move the vanes is a big plus. For a lot of are crops we get less rotor loss if the vanes are in slow or very slow position.
if you think you’re getting too much thrashing open the concave first.
if that dose not work speed up the vanes.
For peas the vanes are in very fast.
A lot of rotor loss is from the concave configuration you choose.
we mix match concave’s. So we might have a small wire in the front right for some more rubbing
Then large wire and the last two large skips.
that’s what we use for soys. If it’s too dry we take out the small wire and put the large.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I do notice in barley the automation dose not move as often at canola. Canola it’s moving every five minutes or so. Barley it Hardly moves.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We did cry little testing with barely here in the states, most was done in Europe.
Could this one be the new common base for the new CNH class 10 platform?
I say this Because of your previous statement of a new Case twin rotor combine in Europe.
For sure this one is the future CR :D

21 - 29 of 29 Posts