The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to repair/replace 2 rubbed through camera cables in the air drill I bought. They were inside a loom with 7 camera cables inside. I put new cables in to replace the old. They were tied into a Deutz connector at the rear of the tractor and I had to cut off the "shrink tubing". It was stuck on so well that I literally had to cut it loose from the wires and did pull some of the wire insulation off with it on one occasion as it is stuck on so well.

It was so durable that it added a huge amount of strength to the connection. Camera wire was like 22 gauge and attached to a 16 gauge wire. It made a very rigid joint and appeared to be melted together to the extreme!

I have looked on Amazon and I don't know what this product is called. Would it be a really durable heat shrink with an adhesive in it so that when it melted, it turned solid? It is an amazing product and I wish to purchase it for future fixes. There are always issues when hooking fine wires to coarse wires as you don't want the wires to be the strength of the connector.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had to repair/replace 2 rubbed through camera cables in the air drill I bought. They were inside a loom with 7 camera cables inside. I put new cables in to replace the old. They were tied into a Deutz connector at the rear of the tractor and I had to cut off the "shrink tubing". It was stuck on so well that I literally had to cut it loose from the wires and did pull some of the wire insulation off with it on one occasion as it is stuck on so well.

It was so durable that it added a huge amount of strength to the connection. Camera wire was like 22 gauge and attached to a 16 gauge wire. It made a very rigid joint and appeared to be melted together to the extreme!

I have looked on Amazon and I don't know what this product is called. Would it be a really durable heat shrink with an adhesive in it so that when it melted, it turned solid? It is an amazing product and I wish to purchase it for future fixes. There are always issues when hooking fine wires to coarse wires as you don't want the wires to be the strength of the connector.
The best heat shrinks are T&B your local electrical supplier might have that brand.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
It's definitely not all created equal.
Princess auto stuff I got is just terrible thin crap and I probably won't ever use it.
Some of the Grote brand I got at the truck shop seemed better fairly stiff and thicker with a good amount of glue in it.
I have used AMP brand as well but it seemed to me it was more of a softer cover after it was heated and cooled.

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts

I have had good luck with what these guys sell. The 3M stuff in general is good quality. They sell different types.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts