The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a 45 foot double shoot flexicoil air drill with mechanical 2320 air tank. I was seeding along 2 days ago and blew a rear air cart tire (I happened to have an old diamond tread tire on rim so put that one on to get me going again). The tires are cracked quite bad (previous owner left it outside all year) so its only a matter of time before the other one goes as well. Now I'm trying to find a pair of new tires and prices seem ridiculous! I was quoted anywhere from $1500-$2500 per tire.
Most people would call these tires "rice tires".
Goodyear 23.1-26
10 ply
Special Sure Grip TD8 R-2-0

Page 14 - http://www.titan-intl.com/files/Agriculture/Catalog_full_nocrops_reduced.pdf

My question is where is a good place to buy tires like this? Where do you guys buy your larger tires? I am not brand specific and am willing to drive and/or ship a long distance for the right deal.

Another point - It seems 99% of carts like this have the diamond tread tires on them but after my mishap I have been comparing the two different tires and I like the rice tire better. It seems the diamond tread packs a lot more than the rice tire.
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Make sure they are 10 or 12 ply, the stubble will poke through the weather cracks when they start weathering. Just a note, your ground compaction will be less in a diamond tread as there is more rubber on the ground, but less area will be compacted with the rice tires. 2500 is what it cost us last spring for a 12 ply 30.5-32 diamond tread for our cart.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
We still own a 2320 TBT air cart although not used for this season and it is equipped with the diamond tread pattern which for a TBT isn't a problem because the ground is seeded after its pass. What I have noticed though are tow behind carts that use ether a diamond or some other square block fine style pattern tread causing a complete surface compaction so that no seed is able to penetrate well through depending on what the moisture was like at the time of seeding. A neighbors previous morris unit that had all its cart tires as a fine tread caused a lot of problems in plants being able to come through that layer. As crazy as it may seem, the higher compaction of a bar grip or rice tire seems to give enough space between the lugs that something will come up within reason that is of the same maturity as the rest of the width across the drill. No doubt the better tire to use on a cart is a bar grip radial to reduce the compaction with the weight spread out more evenly. That's at least what I've been noting in our soil conditions.

Fergy, have you tried to see if there is such a thing as a bar grip radial in that size as I haven't looked at tire listings to see if such an animal exists. You would have to recalibrate or take into consideration rolling diameter differences then for the meters to put on the correct product.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Combine World has new 23.1-26 "TAISHAN" tires for $990 each but these are Bias tires not Radial. Anybody see any problem putting Bias tires on my 2320 cart? Tread pattern is closer to R1 (similar to tractor tire tread) than R2 but otherwise the same. After some experience now with these tires I don't think the R2 tread is necessary
NEW TAISHAN | Used Equipment, Parts and Tires

Anybody have experience with these off breed tires? Are they junk?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
back to diamond tread but are those the same as a pull type combine? not new but would be cheap
Yes, these are the same as lots of pull type combines (that's where I happened to have one from to keep me going)

Although the diamond tread tires are more common, I like the tractor tread design better. I have been comparing them in the field after this spring's blow out and I am convinced the diamond tread packs worse than the tractor tread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts