The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and it's coming out of the rear of the rotor. Right between the gap from the rotor to the rear discharge housing. How can I get in there and check it out? What could it be? As far as I know there is spline coupler so no bearing?
Something started a fire in there, need some suggestions please

forgot to add it's a 9860

·
Registered
718 Posts
Our neighbour had this happen on a 9870 and it was some lentil straw built up behind the rotor. They took the cover off on the top of the rotor housing and they could get in there to clean it out.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Yes in 06 I had this happen in peas. Every night I parked when doing peas something smelled of fire.
This eventually led to a field fire.
The dealer put in a paddle kit which consists of paddles replacing tines on the back of the rotor.
Also was told not to run rotor less than 300 rpm.
In 07 only parked one night with hot smell, so it did improve greatly but not totally solve the issue.
Sold 9860, bought a 595 so I guess you could say I went from the fire to the frying pan.

Don

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll try and clean it out and see what happens. I was doing peas and have lentils to go so I guess it's fire watch for another week or so. That's if this t-storm leaves any lentils to combine. I don't know if these lentils are worth the stress with fires and shelling losses

·
Registered
78 Posts
Our 9860 was doing this last year in some really dry really dusty soybeans and we only had the rotor turning about 300 rpm. After about 4 near losses we finally had to send it to the shop. They removed the rotor and had to send it to a body shop and have some bondo added to the back of the rotor to fill in a groove. The dealer said there was a detach case and when the machines were run at low rotor speeds in extreme dry and dusty conditions the dust packs in the back of the rotor and compresses and catches on fire cause the rotor speed is not fast enough to spin dust out. You should be able to get your dealer to look up the detach case and they can help ya figure it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
our 2008 combine did that also ,,,deere took the rotor out and put some Bondo on the lip at the back of the rotor we traded it off and deere came out with new rotor june 2009 ,,hopefully cures the problem had neighbor burn two with this problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts