The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fall being wet like it is was going to get a cable hooked to front axle on 8010 and run to the back just in case we needed it!! Problem is everything on the machine hangs down too low to do this. Where do you hook on the newer machines to keep from ripping or twisting something? Manual says to hook on the hooks at the back of the sieves. I'm a little leary of that depending how bad the machine is stuck. If I do hook there should I hook only to one side or run two chains(one of f each hook) Wondered if pulling off of both you could run the risk of squeezing it together.
Maybe by being prepared I won't have to use the hooks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have New Holland CR combine which is same frame w/ hooks... I posted same question on New Holland forum. I haven't found anything yet. I did call dealer and they said to hook to both hooks, but use a pull tractor on each hook at same time. I also thought to use a very long chain on each hook to one tractor to minimize squeeze, but my chopper hangs too low. If you find anything out let me know.. I'll do same. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have attached a cable to both hooks with a chain hook on the cable. We have bend them but they are still on. We have had it stuck in a rice field several times. Once it took 2 9370 to pull it out.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You can safely hook to the two rear hooks on that combine. Just put a chain through each one then hook to the cable, and pull sidways. They will bend but i've never seen one break and i've been stuck bad enough to think they would break.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys I guess I'll use the hooks. Was afraid that you could twist something by doing that. Feel better after hearing you experiences. Hopefully won't need to use them!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Been stuck in rice fields several times this year just hooked cable to the side hooks on the back be sure to use big enough tractor and cable so that you don't have to do a lot of snaching

·
Registered
23 Posts
............good question,where to hook?I believe the CX has simliar hooks.We were nervous to pull on the hooks also_Often pulled on the back end closer to the center pivot.Got stuck bad and was difficult to get cable around.Easy place to fasten was the "hooks".Tried pulling on the hooks with a full bin of Canola and did manage to bend the hook.Did get the bin 3 quarters empty and hooked a bigger tractor to pull.The tractor did pull the combine out.The land was mostly peat moss which is loose.In this instance the combine was better to pull straight back on the same trail because the rut was to deep to climb.Pulled at a angle first bending the hook.When these 4 wheel drive combines get stuck they get badly stuck.Not sure if those hooks would handle big horse power pulling from solid ground.The hooks are more suitable for secureing the combine in transport not the "big pull".Good luck and be careful

·
Registered
179 Posts
Let me just put it this way, if you break the hooks it was a bad spot in the metal they were great!! WE Had a 8010 with a 12 row heavy geringhoff chopping head full with corn with big extenions stuck near a swamp buried up to the fan and chopper. it was stuck so bad you couldn't get under the spout and if you folded it out you could jump and touch it, it was bad, we were scared something was going to to get broke big time, water started filling in the our tracks. Through some very hard tugging with the biggest 8 wheeler john deere makes it came out. I was told later a loader had to come in and fill in the huge hole. it was huge, i know we all got pictures somewhere on that we all had our phones out taking them. All we did was bend the hooks some. WE only pulled with one side hooked up cause you would brake your chopper, and we were afraid of squshing it together. I can't believe that they could hold that pressure, you would never guess that by looking at them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
As many other people have pointed out I think the hooks are definitely suitable for the "big pull". We have used them to pull our CR960 out of a hole similar to the one ozcase8120's 8010 is in with no trouble, nice pics by the way.

I think it was a NH rep that told us to always pull from the hooks, never anywhere else. He said they were designed so that you would pull the hooks of before you ever broke anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts