The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am thinking about getting tools which one should i get kincrome or sp-tools.
tell me which one.
thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
sidchrome ratchet spanners no good always changing direction when your trying to whizz something up fast

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I picked up a JET ratchet and a set of 1/2" sockets from GearWrench that I am really happy with, but like wvca says, they'll take my 3/8 SnapOn ratchet out of my cold dead hands. I would still recommend them for fine work like 3/8 and 1/4. By the time you get up into the larger sizes things get a little clutzy anyway, and if you learn to use your breaker bars ratchets will last a lifetime. The JET is basically a Chinese knockoff of the SnapOn and for the larger sizes works great. Quit looking at cheap junk and start looking at industrial quality. Even Canadian Tire combination wrenchs aren't bad if you look at the polished Professional Series and not the light junk... and you can pick them up on sale for very reasonable prices. I've got lots of tools that date back into the 70's... I thought they were expensive at the time, but if you buy quality they will last you a lifetime.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,773 Posts
Well it seems the “Brand Name” stuff is not as good as it used to be now days.

SnapOn still seems to have quality

but since your asking on a farming / farm machinery website your obviously not trying to rebuild Nitro motors in 1 hr so anything is good except from the $2 dollar shop
Even Bunnings has good cheap tools

At least if you get the cheaper variety you can lend it, bend it, cut it, bash it, weld it, lose it etc etc and not be hit yard in the wallet............

I have a mixed tool box of all names and often I reach for the Mogy or Jimmy tool instead of the kincrome or sidchrome

Bahco seem to make good tools, I have had good results with their stuff

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well it seems the “Brand Name” stuff is not as good as it used to be now days.

SnapOn still seems to have quality

but since your asking on a farming / farm machinery website your obviously not trying to rebuild Nitro motors in 1 hr so anything is good except from the $2 dollar shop
Even Bunnings has good cheap tools

At least if you get the cheaper variety you can lend it, bend it, cut it, bash it, weld it, lose it etc etc and not be hit yard in the wallet............

I have a mixed tool box of all names and often I reach for the Mogy or Jimmy tool instead of the kincrome or sidchrome

Bahco seem to make good tools, I have had good results with their stuff
The bahco reversible ratchet spanners are a great bit of kit, 12 sizes in 3 spanners can put a set in each machine for basic emergencies. Sidchrome certainly aren't what they used to be, any of my old ones I've lost or broken I've replaced with KC stuff

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sidchrome was bought out by Stanley. Stanley make a spanner roll for $99 on special that is good value, good spanners.
Bahco used to make Sidchrome adjustable wrenches in the 70-80's
I'm liking my Gearwrench ratchet spanners other than the head is large so no good for tight spots

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,773 Posts
The bahco reversible ratchet spanners are a great bit of kit, 12 sizes in 3 spanners can put a set in each machine for basic emergencies. Sidchrome certainly aren't what they used to be, any of my old ones I've lost or broken I've replaced with KC stuff
Yeah I bloody love those spanners

I bought 3 kits, but someone took a liking to the 12-15mm size

pisses me off as the 13mm is so common:mad::mad:

Reactions: nicko87

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
S-K make good sockets, but I found their ratchet clumsy and I did manage to break one after several decades of abuse. It's true that even SnapOn is outsourcing to China these days, but still at higher quality standards. That's why I like my vintage SnapOn better than the new stuff. I find a lot of the sockets and wrenches are no longer cast with the nice deep clear markings for sizes, and that many of the lower cost ones lose their print in a couple years. Very annoying if you have to carry both metric and SAE. My big complaint with metric sets is that they don't include all the sizes and you spend as much filling in the gaps as you do buying the set. I did manage to find a set of combination wrenches from JET that was complete and good quality that I keep in the combine. Still bought an extra 10 mm though... those things just walk away by themselves. If phantom970 is correct, I might have to start duct taping the 13 mm to the bottom of the tool box as well...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts