The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a long time lurker here and we just bought our first Lexion, a 2010 585R and have many questions. We plan on using it about 60% in corn, 20% in soybeans, and 20% in wheat/oats/barley. We got it with a 1050 flex head and an 8 row corn head.

We are coming from a JD9510 that we really struggled with to produce a decent grain sample, and so want to make sure we get the concaves set up right on this one.

It currently has what I believe is the wire concave and the smooth corn APS grates. I don't think it has either the wear kit or the flow kit installed. We raise some organic beans and so unfortunately sometimes have to deal with grassy, tough beans.

We are wondering if it would be beneficial for corn to order one of the HHS concaves that use the APS grates so that we could go to round bar for corn. What other APS grates would we want to deal with the beans/wheat? Will the the flow and wear kits be worth the money to deal with the impeller wrapping issues I've read about?

Finally, we are wondering about the CAC2 bypass kit for the 1050 header. Is this worth it? Our local dealer hasn't installed hardly any of them. Is it possible for us to install ourselves?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Your main concave will work just fine unless...

you are doing high moisture corn, hair pinning and build-up can occur=rotor loss
you want minimal damaged soybeans, I feel roundbar is better.

I recommend roundbar, keystock soybean, and keystock small grain APS grates, all found at HHSparts.com. You can use the roundbar APS for soybeans, I do often, but if they are green the keystock might be better. You might be able to use the soybean keystock grate in small grains, and close the disawning if white caps are an issue. My point is these three would be best, but owning just two can work also. I don't use (have much use) for the common slotted grate APS, but welding some keystock on it can save you some money.

You can use the main concave for a year and see how you get along, especially if the dealer won't help out with $ or labor changing it. You have many options for the main concave, Sunnybrook, HHSparts, factory roundbar....

The impeller wear kit and rotor flow kit are improvements. Again, see if the dealer would help you out, if not, do it yourself. Come to think of it, I have an impeller wear kit with hardware that should work if you are interested.

BTW, I use a roundbar for corn, beans, and wheat. For wheat, I use the small grains APS. An ITS (intensive threshing segment) can be installed on the front of the main concave to help if needed (more hp required and less straw quality) and/or a coverplate can be installed under the "pre-concave" to help with threshing and white caps.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I agree with what Seedcleaner is suggesting. I have a 480 that was setup for corn/beans and has the 18 mm slotted or oval shaped holes in the main concave. I was concerned that wheat heads would get through without being threshed so I installed the 6.5mm APS concaves with keystock, intensive threshing segments and I use a Sunnybrook cylinder. I usually leave the deawning plates open. The machine threshes wheat and barley quite well with this setup. Last winter I had the original concave rebuilt (new keystock and rear vanes- Pictures under 480 rebuild) and added removable filler bars under the first 5 concave rows. I have never combined corn or beans but wheat must be threshed completely the first time through or you will have whitecaps. That would be my main concern that you have the concaves tight enough that partial heads of wheat do not get through the concave. It seems like changing APS concaves, removing the ITSegments, and opening up the main concave would be the way to go between hard thresh wheat or barley and changing to corn/beans.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OK, BTW, what is your location? That helps immensely.

I see you have the N18 Main Concave, and it has a few bruises, but looks good.
If you always harvest corn at 26% or less, it will be OK. If you will encounter corn wetter than that (like we do 1 year in 6 here in MI & ON), then a roundbar concave wont plug with husks and stalks in real wet conditions. If you feel the need to make the switch, then the HHS main concave with the replaceable segments would be my choice.

The flow kit would be optional - with your grassy, organic beans might be more valuable, but I WOULD NOT WAIT to install the impeller wear kit. It will give more inertia to the impeller, and get a sharp edge back on the wings of the impeller. Available through HHS Parts.

For your mix of crops, I would get 2 sets of APS grates from HHS - the roundbar grates for corn, then the keystock(soybean) grates for soys and cereals. For the few cereals you do, they will be fine, likely have to close disawning doors.

In our case, our 575R has a Roundbar main. We do about 1/3 SRWheat, so install keystock APS grates, Intensive Threshing Segment at very rear of APS, then put in the cover plate under the first few bars of main concave. Was very hungry compared to the JD9550 we moved from, then we put some rotor covers in this past year as our limiting factor was shoe loss... Hard to reason why rotor covers reduce shoe loss, but it does.

We run a F1050 on our 575R. Yes, you want the CAC2 Bypass kit. It will be about $2500 through parts, but will make the F1050 perform almost as well as a draper for cut and feed for a fraction of the cost. Good directions, can be field installed with relatively modest tools. Technician can do it on-farm too.

We moved to a Claas after 40 years of Deeres. Deere have the best parts and service support here - bar none. This however, couldn't overcome the performance/quality difference that the Claas will put up, and an excellent factory track system. Get some help from the local salesman/techs with set up.If you didn't buy it locally, then pay them cash to get you going. It is a big change in technology, and not all adjustments are going to be instinctive coming from a JD walker.

Hope this helps.
Ken

·
Registered
982 Posts
X2 or 3 or 4 on the cac kit. 500 series autocontour control module is analoge but the 1050 sensors are digital so you either need to change sensors on the header and some options will not work or install the cac kit. I just installed one this summer and if you have some mexhanical ability it can be done at home. Also i installed impellar wear kit and my 585 had flow kit installed previously and harvested alot of green this year with none of the issues brought up on this site about plugging impellers etc. so in my opinion they are a mist have if doing any amount of green.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I thought this thread was kind of DOA at first with only Seedcleaner's reply, but I guess everyone was just busy with the holidays. We are in south central Minnesota. We went and ordered the HHS concave and wear kit. We really struggled getting the old 9510 set with all the different crop conditions we have and so figured that it'd be worth it to get the combine set up right the first time and be able to adapt it easier. We're going to try and do the replacement ourselves, so if anyone has any tips on that, it'd be appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, not yet. We've got to leave the feederhouse on in order to unload the heads that are supposed to be coming in next week. Dad has the new concave sitting in the shop just waiting though. Any tips would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
No, not yet. We've got to leave the feederhouse on in order to unload the heads that are supposed to be coming in next week. Dad has the new concave sitting in the shop just waiting though. Any tips would be much appreciated.
I am far from an expert on concave swapping but we rebuilt our concave last winter so had it out of the 480. I have used a skid steer to remove the feederhouse. With a sling around the auto contour cylinders and tied back to the frame on the forks it gives you good control. Make sure the skid steer is big enough - mine is just barely!. We removed the impeller and APS to rebuild anyway. Left the Sunnybrook cylinder in. That meant that we had to drop the front of the grainpan and it was still tight to rotate the concave forward and up around the cylinder. We laid 2x4s on the grainpan so the heavy concave did not damage the divider fins of the grain pan and you can slide the concave along them. We used the forks of the skidsteer to do most of the lifting of the concaves after we cut the back bars off low enough to not hit the bottom of the cab. We welded side plates onto the top 1/2 of the back bar assembly and now it just bolts back on. It is a big job but all doable when you have time. I got some professional help a couple days when reinstalling everything. When the machine is all apart like that take your time and do all the little things that are so much easier to when you have access to them. Good luck !:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.