The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a class lexion 580R and was wondering what front I should buy. Should I buy a class vario 1200 40ft or a macdon D60 40ft single knife drive, I mainly do oats and take all the straw Thanks

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,955 Posts
Macdon. We have two 35' varios. Go with the Macdon. I have never heard of a D series 40' having only one knife drive. Are you sure of that?

Macdon a much much more universal front if ever your cropping type changes. They feed and maintain straw quality very well. The vario will tangle it up and be untidy feeding into the feeder at times.
Macdon will give you better resale come trade time.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,955 Posts
Phantom970 Yes the one I am looking at is single drive
Well I'll be....................file that away in the memory banks

One thing about Macdon, they have a good knife bar. We never broke any on the 36's or 39's so you won't have to worry about that 40 footer.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
HI

Have ran both this year, 30ft Vario and 35ft Macdon. If your handing damp straw then the macdon wins all the time, as will just keep on feeding, no matter what the conditions are like
X2. Have both headers for a 590. Vario 30' only used for canola so do not have experience in cereals. I have considered only keeping one header and wonder which to keep. The Auto Contour works well on the Vario but we have never been able to get the Float Optimizer on the D50 to work.
As Combineguy says, if the canola is tough after the sun goes down, it wants to stick on that wide sheet metal between the knife and the auger. Plugged the APS a couple times last year because of it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Last year we ran a vario on a 740 and a 40' MacDon d-60-d on a 580. The MacDon is without a doubt a much better header. It's a little bit crazy to only have one knife drive on that big of a header though. I don't think you can go wrong with the Macdon though, such a nice header.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.