The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Have a couple questions for you....

Been no-tilling my beans in, this year we disced up fields to interrupt the Marestail growth. The discing caused high spots in the fields (sort of like rolling waves).
Resulting in a poor population due to seeds being planted too deep in the high spots. (Seeds went Up to 3" deep and they have not broken through soil yet)

Planted three weeks ago, about 75% of field is up.

1) Do you think the 25% will pop through. They are about 1" below the surface now.

2) What is a good tillage tool to level out these fields for next year after discing? ( finishing tool ,field cultivator etc...)

BTW.. I replanted about 10 acres yesterday after adjusting the depth setting to a more shallow setting.
Bartman :confused:

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Disc to fast?

Doesn't have the smaller discs at the outer edges of the gang to help with ridging?

Had a neighbour disc a 1/4 section once. Fairly fast... 8-9mph! Next year he complained about the speed bumps every 30 feet. The old-timers just grinned and smiled.

Back on topic... I would think that once those ridges are formed, it will take a few passes from almost anything to completely level things out.

What about a land leveller? Set it 1/2"-1" above ground level and run it down the ridges?

Andrew

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Beans should come up for the most part, bet you don't see much of a difference in a week or two. Had a depth control screw break on my planter this spring and planted one row 2-4 inches deep when I usually shoot for 1 inch. They are close to 90% emerged now. Sure if you pay attention you can pick the row, about 7-10 days behind, but I bet they will yield the same.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Im not sure what planter youre running, but youd think each row unit could maintain its depth regardless of ground level. Makes you wonder if the ground is a different density in some of those areas or some worn out parts in the planter.

Regardless, i had a new guys wreck a field last year leaving a center valley behind the disc. Got lucky by splitting the passes and running it the same setting to get close, then setting correctly and doing it all again. Never had good luck pitching the disc the opposite way to counteract it. The way the gang angles are, the pitch change will affect the outer blades more than the inner blades, and can really make it a pain to get perfect.

Id recommend running a cultivator with some boards on the back (something that will carry a little dirt) and go at a 45* across the disc passes, and then flip the 45* to the opposite angle. That works best.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I drag two 3" pipes behind my disc....that helps to smooth of any ridges....personally I found gang angle has a bit to do with it...my 32 plate leaves it flat as crap with the pipes dragging behind....

Ant...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Could you roll the field right now to help level it, that might help get bean closer to the surface and won't damage the crop already up.

This is just a guess on my end.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A pull behind dual rolling basket will help keep the disk leveled out, such as a underfurth one. It needs to be just a hair wider than the disk though. Also I do not conducer being able to plant after a disk. It is primary tillage tool and needs to be finished after that. A field cultivator is great option to help level out ground.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback............ I will let you know how the deep planted seeds turn out in another few weeks.
As far as tillage goes would you disc first than follow with a Field Cultivator slightly wider than the disc? Or just use the Field Cultivator.
Also if the FC has a harrow do you think it will be necessary to drag pipes or boards behind to help in the leveling process?

Thanks,
Bartman

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
What your field cultivator will do depends immensely on how it is set up. Meaning types of shovels or shanks, how wide the shovels are, how they're spaced. . .You can get them where they're quite versatile, run them shallow for finishing, or run a shallow pass, then a liittle deeper with the right set up and it will work up the field (assuming not a hay field or breaking ground). I pull a unverferth rolling harrow behind it, and the field is like a baby's butt, only not quite so rough. The rolling harrow is nice for clodding soils like clay and soft ridges, but if you don't have clods, spikes, spring teeth, boards, pipes, anthing light like that will smooth out the cultivator ridges.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts