The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a topair sprayer.It has graduation marks on the tank, like most sprayers. I don't think it jives with my 1550 storage tank or my 900 dollar banjo flow meter. when filling a sprayer what do most of you go by for water quantities?I'd like to be as close as possible as far as accuracy.I put 700 gallons according to the flow meter in the tank, my sprayer said 600, the storage tank said 550,WTF.I can see it being off a little, maybe 50 gallons, but this 150 gallon difference has me puzzled, if 2 were close I'd go by them. give me some suggestions. by the way I ran the flow meter from a batchboy if that makes a difference.if I knew which one was closest, I could calibrate my sprayer flowmeter to that one, anybody?

·
Super Moderator
600 Posts
From my experience, Flow Meters lie a lot of the time. They can get out of calibration fairly easier (especially if there is any air/bubbles/foam in the mix). For the storage tank, there is like 3% shrinkage with polyethylene plastic which can make a big difference in graduations on a tank.

I'd reckon you might be near in the middle.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Since the sprayer and the tank are pretty close, I'd say its somewhere in that area. The flow meter is the flier, and any calibration on the flow meter is purely a number. Do you have a scale anywhere around where you can weigh your rig and then load a known amount of water and reweigh? That way you can calibrate your banjo in your system. Water is 8.34#/gallon @ 62F.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
^ x2 Exactly what bent said. The more water you can weigh, the better. I'd weigh the storage tank and sprayer if you could. Shape of the container has a lot to do with it, meaning a large surface area is less accurate then a skinny column. I'd say your tank and sprayer are very close to each other and comes down to the shape of them. Then you can apply a multiplier to the flow meter, and always know the accuracy of the tanks as a double check if it drifts again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What I have read about the banjo flow meter is that there is no way to calibrate them. If there is I would like to know and whether or not it would be worth me spending my money on one of them because I have a 750 gallon Hardi Commander and as of right now all I am doing is guessing and going by the sight gauge and have had some trouble with some chemicals not killing like the should.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.