The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some opinion on which tractor to use this harvest. My concerns are: 1. Seeing into the truck 2. Stopping, stability when fully loaded (and it will be) 3. HP. Need some speed an ability to unload quickly. Keeping 3 combines going in durum, peas, canola. Land is mostly flat.

John Deere 9510R
GPS
PTO
800's

John Deere 8345R (IVT)
GPS
PTO
Duals all around

Cart is 1300 bushel JM

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Not familiar with those particular tractors, but generally a 4WD will do all those things you asked about best. You need the weight and forward weight distribution for stability. You need the extra horsepower for speed and you need the cab height for visibility to see into a truck. One thing you need to consider is the width of the tractor with Dual wheels, as clearance between tractor and header may be an issue. IMO, the ideal cart tractor is a 4WD on large singles.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I would use the 4wd. Have you thought about how much that cart weighs when it has close to 1300bu on it in relation to the tractor weight....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The clearance between tractor and header is good. It's tight but it does work. A careful operator has no issue with this as we have an extension on our one shorter auger. Tracks would be nice though.

What concerns me most is a full cart when it starts bouncing....lots of ruts that aren't easy to see after last year....I think it will push a 83XXR around like a toy?

Our cart guy is good at speed matching so IVT isn't a huge advantage. Also not very often all 3 are going the exact same speed every time.
The way we cut he has to hustle sometimes to keep us all going.

Thanks for the replies keep em coming!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think a 1300bu would push a fwa tractor around like a toy. Our 1150bu empty pushes our 8130 around.

However, i use a 9410r with powershift and to me its the biggest pain in the ass unloading on a flat bottom trailer. Trying to crown it up with the thing lurching in and out of gear, or the alternative of riding the clutch off and on until it ultimately locks you into park while you overflow...its not fun. If youre dumping into hopper bottoms though its not nearly as much of an issue. But for me IVT would be a dream, but im less bushels than you and still think id max out a wheeled 8345-8360.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I help a guy during harvest, and I hate running his ILS Deere on cart lots of bucking, poor visability. The a/c and the powershift are nice, but the 4880 Massey he has does better.

The ILS deeres dont run any bigger than a 800 bushel cart. He runs a 1000 bushel cart behind the big MF. and yes, 903 Cummins can handle 2800-2900 RPM...so far. :)

So for this discussion, I would run the 9510R. the only thing I dont like is the massive tires as far as clearance to the header.

·
Registered
359 Posts
does your chaser bin have brakes I run 3 cameras auger inside bin reverse , would love to try quad trac as they weigh around 30 t
I find 2 carts work better for 3 headers no belting the gear around imo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No brakes on the cart. Thought about camera but was thinking that the lense would often get covered over with dust?
We run this up the back roads sometimes with 3-600 bushel in it to save a truck from coming back. We do take it slow though.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would prefer the IVT as long as the driver looked after it. However the size of the cart probably means the larger tractor would be safer. Dual wheels can be tight although with auto steer should be ok.

I'm with newfarmac......2 smaller carts would work better especially if they have to travel far to unload. Just means more gear, operators etc.

A camera on the unloading auger will help with visibility into the trucks.

So if I was you I'd be using the bigger tractor with that cart, mainly because of the safety issues.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Any difficulty with terrain and you'll want the bigger tractor. Biggest thing with unloading with power shift or anything for that matter is proper gear selection. Too many times people try to go in too high of gear then things start bouncing and things get ugly quick

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Another vote for the 9510R, you will need the weight and power of the 4wd and the visibility loading trucks will be far superior over a front wheel assist. I am assuming that the 9510R has a power shift.

·
Registered
359 Posts
highly recommend the cameras haven't had any dust problems last 3 yrs , can top out perfect day an night an going on the road is a lot safer with 1 out back, combines not the only thing that can start fires

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'd say 9510R as well.

We usually use our 8230 (IVT) on our cart (Brent 882) but last year due to the wet conditions we were using a rented 9420T. This year we will likely be back to using the 8230 but my brother who runs the cart really liked the 9420T on there. If our 9420 on tires was a powershift that's the machine we'd use on the cart. If it had a PTO already we'd probably just deal with the 24 speed, but since there is no PTO we won't make the investment due to lack of powershift.

Unfortunately our 9530 on tires can't have a PTO installed into it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You say both tractors have GPS. I assume you run autotrac in the combine as well. Can I make a suggestion? Run autotrac on the grain cart tractor as well. Set the track spacing the same as the cut on the combine. Set the heading exactly as the combine. Pull under the auger and center the track and then use shift track to move closer or farther away from the combine as per combine operator. We have been doing this for years and it really takes a load off the cart driver. Use it in corn and soybeans. For corn we write down the exact heading they used to plant it and punch that into the monitor.
We run a 1300 bu cart on 8360rt with no issues. We also don't load it full until the last load of the night. We put 1000 bu on and fill a truck. We used to run a 8320r wheel with the only issue was horsepower in our steepest hill.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I also vote for the 4WD. Heavier tractor, more hp and better visibility when unloading will all be assets. I run a Brandt 1300 on a STX 375 (tuned to 470) tractor, and when you get 36MT on there, it becomes a very big tail wagging the dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seems like the 4WD is the preferred choice. Haven't heard any pros about the smaller tractor......

Always use auto track. Work on an A+ heading. Works great. Saves a tractor-header collision. 40' foot headers don't leave much room for error. I line up with the extended unloading auger, centre, engage auto steer, and then drive in to unloading position. You know your good before you get in the danger area then.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I vote 9R - Autotrac is always a good thing, makes the wide-ness of the 9R less of a concern. Takes a touch of getting used to swinging in from the side, but easy enough. Love the stability, and being able to see into the truck. You should have the auto-mode on your powershift, I use that and the roller knob on the gearshift - speed matching is a breeze that way. Set "1" for approximately your combine speed, "2" for chasing speed, and you can do a pretty nice job. Bumping the gearshift kicks it out, so if you pull alongside out of it, then tap 1 as you settle under the auger, it works nice.

The 8R's IVT would be REALLY nice loading a truck - I have the same 9R issue, trying not to slip the clutch and lock it into park. If you're loading semis, though, not a big issue, 1 pile each end and you're done, so only 1 real move.

I don't know what it breaks down to in cost/hr., but I doubt fuel usage is enough different to count, and seems like the trade value hours difference is pretty close, too........

·
Registered
4 Posts
I run my 1300 bu cart with a 340 magnum, and it gets pretty heavy for that tractor sometimes. Befoire I got this cart and tractor I had a 800bu cart on a puma 225 CVT and that completely ruined that transmission. I'm not sure how the IVTs are built, but I'd just use the 4wd to not risk it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
definitely 4wd. Tracks preferably. Use auto steer on cart tractor as well, and for optimum efficiency, just let the cart run at one speed and control filling with the combine. You may lose like 30 seconds, but the combine operator can actually see into the cart. not the other way around. No spills or screwups or chewed out grain cart operators! Much easier on everybody

1 - 20 of 20 Posts