The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at rebuilding vs replacing my concord as it needs some TLC and its a bit narrow at 24'.
I only seed 800 acres so its hard to justify new technology and I want something simple.
I've looked at a couple 33' eeze-on drills and they look straight forward, not sure about the tanks (biggest concern is parts for them or do Versatile dealers handle parts for the old stuff?). Do the 2175/3175 tanks meter canola well? Do they clean out okay or am I looking at a rustbucket in the corners (where should I look for problems when I start driving around and climbing in tanks?)

Seem to be a lot of 1900/1910 JD tanks out there, is that because they are good or because they are green? Are they mostly mechanical or a maze of electronics and hydraulics? (Versatile 875 with flowcontrol for fan but not the atom jet pump).

I don't think I need VR or sectional controls as for my acres I'm doubtful about it ever paying for itself (seeded my small starfish shaped pieces down to hay and sell as standing crop, I'm trying to make everything nice rectangular blocks).

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have run and used John Deere a lot, Bourgault a bit, and years ago Morris. For an older simpler machine Deere wouldn't be my choice for two reasons. One is that they only go so long before you need to put new meter boxes under them and that is as expensive as buying a small older tank in the first place. Second they have a habit of frying their computer once in awhile and that's expensive for a smaller farm to handle. Love em when they are new but wouldn't call them durable or simple. A bourgault tank in nice shape is a great investment or even an older flexicoil or john deere/flexi. Take your time and find a nice one that hasn't run fertilizer. They are out there but require some looking. Don't know the EZ-ON very well. I have seen some 200 bushel or so bourgault with virtually no rust that had been on organic farms. They would go for years and years with no parts needed except maybe an electric clutch or a sensor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you looked at any flexi-coil 5000 setups? TONS of them out there. Can find them for pretty cheap. Lot's of parts available. We ran a 33' with a 170bu tank for years. Simple & cheap machine to run. They can grow some really nice crops if levelled properly.

·
Registered
461 Posts
for size and age you are looking at probably easier to just go looking for another older complete unit....

nothing wrong with JD tanks but unless you are using JD autosteer on that tractor you will be looking for a GS1 / 2600 box to run it too, they didn't have a separate control box. and the afore mentioned rebuild of the meter boxes (depends on how good previous owners were at cleaning fertilizer out!). To go to that small a unit the meter rolls themselves might have to be re configured. not a big deal if it was just to involve blocking a couple ports (the blocking doors snap right in), but if the number of runs / tower on your drill vary the individual meter rolls will need the appropriate number of blocking rings. and chances are the old meter cartridge will not disassemble to do that, fertilizer and fine grain dust make a very good glue!

Older 2/3/4000 series bougault tanks out there, hold up good and bourgault at least has kit to re wire and upgrade them to a 591 monitor when the wiring and sensors for the clutches and bin level alarms starts to fail.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ran an Ezee-on for 6 years. Really liked it. I think the cart was a 3315? 3 tanks, mechanical driven. Simply change the sprockets to change rate. Very simple, very reliable, and very accurate. There wouldn't be to much to replace as far as parts are concerned. Maybe the monitor? Farmtronics could probably fix it for u if something went wrong. It metered canola very well, accurate to a tenth of a pound.
I currently run a jd 1910 430bu. The metering boxes require cleaning and maintenance and replacing at some point. Mine is hydraulic driven , so more potential for expensive problems but has been great so far.
Overall the Ezee-on is much simpler and easier to fix if you are handy.
Ezee-on auger was great, simple, never a problem.
Jd conveyor requires a lot of maintenance, it doesn't like the fertilizer.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I ran older flexicoil/deere tanks, the deere 1910 tank and Bourgault 4000, 5000 and 6000 series. If you want simple and reliable you want the Bourgault, preferrably the 5000 or 6000 series with the pdm metering augers. Stupidly simple machines and a match to the concord air system.

I found the Deere airtank meters were always corroded/ rusty/ stuck and lots of maintenance. Paint is top notch on the deere units and parts are readily available.

Bourgault drills have an optional gas engine drive that sits on the rear of the tank, otherwise I think your tractor will be short of hydraulics to run a 2 fan bourgault system. Not sure if you are double shooting or not? Flexicoil and Deere will need less hydraulics than Bourgault to double shoot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts