The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
undecided what variety to grow next year. lots of guys brag about their carberry and muchmore which are good varieties but do they have that top end yield potential? i've heard muchmore is bad for ergot too. what about faller? yield is good on it but how bad is the lodging and fuzz tolerance? will protein still be worth good money in fall of 2015? Lots of CDC go in our area and yields are decent but that is about all it has going for it till we are out of this wet/disease cycle we seem to be in. has anyone compared Cardale or Carberry to Faller in the same field. just wondering if we should be chasing yield with varieties like Faller or quality with the carberry/cardale type of varieties. we are not in sawfly area so don't need the solid stem varieties, and we don't usually worry about wheat midge too much either.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
From what I've seen on my farm carberry won't even yield with harvest and I won't grow it because of the yield. Faller yielded really good but didn't stand well. It was on 150lbs of n so that didn't help. Marketing the faller is also a bit more challenging. Protein isn't as high a harvest either. Everyone grows carberry now it seems but I'm willing to pick up downed wheat for 7 extra bushels. Heck that's just about the entire profit.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I have heard some disappointing #'s from Carberry this year, I knew from trials last year it would not hang with Muchmore. Never had Muchmore and Harvest side-by-side last year and they both did well so I split my acres this year. I now know both yield and protein are higher with Harvest from this years trials. I am growing all Harvest next year.;)

EDIT: I am using a high-input strategy. Don't expect to plant Harvest and go camping all summer, it needs to be sprayed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Carberry did the best for us, stood excellent, yielded excellent, great disease package, it beat Stanley, unity, and titanium in all aspects, very happy with it and will be growing more next year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure what kind of wheat you guys are talking as Ive never heard of those but here in North Carolina, Dyna Gro Shirley is the highest yielding by a long shot and has been for 2 or 3 years. I avg 72 bushels last year across 900 acres. Best wheat crop Ive ever had or heard of in this area on such a scale. Shirley is Soft Red Winter Wheat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
However, with wheat prices where they are now, not sure I will plant any wheat at all this fall. Hate to say that because we love growing and picking wheat. I can barely make it work on paper, much less in the field.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It doesn't pencil any better up here. We're growing Utmost (hard red spring) and getting good yields but $4.60 a bushel doesn't pay the bills.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Carberry is fantastic to harvest. Must be the semi-dwarf that's keeping it from matching the yields. We have some flat wheat too and same, I'll deal with it for the yield.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It doesn't pencil any better up here. We're growing Utmost (hard red spring) and getting good yields but $4.60 a bushel doesn't pay the bills.

I only wish I could get $4.60 for it. Here in NC wheat is based off of corn because it is all made for swine and poultry feed. I believe the basis is .50 over so right now i'd be looking at under $4.00 :mad: Thank goodness im in swine business also to help offset these commodity prices..

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Haven't harvested any wheat for 2014 yet, but in 2013, Carberry stood the best and had the same yield as the other variety we grew 859CL. However, the 859 was 1.5-2% higher in protein.

In our 2013 trials, Faller and Prosper yielded the best. (100 bu/ac and 97 bu/ac) (We were planning a 1/4 of Prosper, but the P+H milling program for it fell through so we switched gears before harvest.) Next best was a +/- 1 bu/ac tie of Carberry, 859 and Cardale. (around the 84 bu/ac mark if I remember.) Worst was Utmost. (73 bu/ac) It was also the flattest plot out there. Definitely not a variety to grow if you are maximizing your inputs!

This year, we are almost all Carberry (mostly due to harvestability), but do have a 1/4 of Harvest as well.

Now, if only Ma Nature would co-operate!!

Andrew

·
Registered
219 Posts
Grew faller and Glenn. The faller did much better than uncles cardale. One field 70 the other over 80. Faller goes to warburton also. Have not done any Glenn yet. Think I will try harvest again. Not sure why we quit. I do all the sprayer passes anyhow.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Unity out yielded car berry but diff fields , unity down on some fields good olds splendor did very good and one week earlier .

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just got going on the Muchmore wheat yesterday this field was swathed for saving for seed and had fallen through the stubble but was still running close to 60. Other wheat in my area is running around 40. This is my third year with Muchmore and has always been a good yield and stands very well.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
grew 3 varieties on 1 field. Lillian 14.5pro, 34bu. stettler 13.5pro 37bu. vida 12.5pro 40bu. at 50 per quarte down on pro what did I raise the most of? yep, Lillian...

·
Registered
278 Posts
How many bushels per acre do you need to justify the price of the extra harvest costs due to lodging?

We grew Goodeve VB, Carberry, Cardale and now Eli (1st year in 2014) in the past 5 years.

For our area and fertilizer rates the Goodeve yields very strongly for us but it doesn't stand well where the N fertilizer rate exceed 70 pounds/acre. A wheat variety that lodges cost more to harvest (fuel, maintenance, repairs) especially when its difficult to put the straw through.

Carberry, Cardale and Eli yield competitively to Goodeve, without the lodging issues.

Why suffer and beat up equipment for a slight yield advantage?

·
Registered
181 Posts
We have tried Carberry, Utmost, and Lillian the past few years. They have all been the best varieties at certain times depending on environmental conditions. Lillian was best when we were dealing with sawfly. Utmost has been an excellent midge variety. Carberry has been the best when dealing with disease especially fusarium. If you had perfect conditions with none of these factors Lillian would yield the best with the highest protein but it lodges. Carberry would be next and is awesome to harvest. Utmost would be last because it is a midge variety(but midge varieties yield dramatically better when you have midge pressure). We were all Utmost this year but next will be Carberry due to fusarium. But back to the others if midge or sawfly show up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts