The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
First time poster, long time viewer and I am seeking some opinions on White Combines. I put this under Massey as it all falls under the AGCO umbrella.
I have an opportunity to purchase a well maintained 8920 with low hours and I am trying to find out what the difference is between a 8900 and an 8920?
I realize that parts can be difficult to find as I currently use a White 5542 so I am used to digging around for parts.
I don't farm big but I was looking for something with a little more power especially for canola. Does anyone have any opinions or thoughts on an 8920 or 8900?
Cheers and thanks All,
Lonepine

·
Registered
69 Posts
8920 has longer feeder housing and larger diameter auger on pickup, among other things.

I had 2 of the 8900's and they served us well. Still have one left to sell.

Most parts didnt seem to be a problem to find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We harvested up til last year with 3 8900's. Parts aren't that bad to find for the most part if you have a decent agco dealer, most are still available to order, not much is stocked tho. We scrapped one 8900 that had 5000hrs on it for parts. In this area they are cheap units to buy. I have only seen a few 8920 but I think most is the same, electric header lift on the hydro joystick I believe started with the 8920s and the bigger header auger. Maybe header reverser too? May have just been aftermarket reversers on the ones I seen. As with any machine that age, maintenance of previous owners will be the biggest factor on reliability.

·
Registered
123 Posts
We ran and 8920 for years and I wish I had it back for wheat. It was a great machine in wheat and we did not have to spray for volunteer wheat afterwards. The main difference between the 2 machines is the longer feeder house and electric over hydraulic controls and I believe the clear grain elevator top is a little different due to a better drive set up for the bin fill auger. It was a very reliable machine that required the usual work in general. We never had anything major go wrong with it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.