The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at purchasing a 6000 series white planter 15” spacing. Does anyone know if these will plant canola? I purchased a seed disc and it looks like it will work

will I need no till coulters to plant canola? I only need to go 1/2” deep.

has anyone towed a air tank behind and used bourgault MRBs to band dry fertilizer beside the seed to put it all on in one pass?

any advice would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
I would be worried about the amount of stuff you have on the bar if you want to put a bander beside each row unit. But it might be just fine too. My Deere 7200 is on 30 inch spacing and has a fertilizer opener beside each row without any problems. But you would be pulling twice as much through the hitch. And add to that the extra draft of the air cart.

Balancing that would be the fact that you aren't putting corn in at 2.5 or 3 inches deep, so maybe the draft wouldn't be all that different.

I don't find I have an issue with pulling a 300bu cart through my 16R forward fold frame. What configuration is the planter you are looking at?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a welder by trade so I don’t have a problem with fabricating a new front toolbar. Row units are independent to the frame so I don’t feel like pulling weight or added openers should affect it much and I can beef up the frame if need be.

I was looking at a little white 6/13 split row. (13 rows at 15”) for canola. Trying to make it a one pass machine.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Planting with a Great Plains I raise up the trash whippers so they very rarely touch. The discs don't seem to have a issue going through durum stubble. Bent a couple on rocks until I raised them up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts