The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the operator's manual for a 16" X 84' Farm King auger, under operating instructions, it has a number of ALERTS, one of which reads as follows:

"Never operate the hydraulic winch or the hopper mover when the PTO shaft is engaged."

How many of you do this? I generally have the PTO disconnected when I am raising the swing into transport position. I can't imagine disconnecting the PTO every time the swing is being re-positioned under trailer hoppers or when being swung away after unloading a truck.

Is this for the safety of the tractor or the auger, or both? I know that the PTO shaft on my 7800 JD can not be turned by hand when the tractor is running. The flighting of the swing should be free to move (if empty) if it needs to when the hopper is being moved hydraulically.

What is the reason for the ALERT? https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/images/CombineForum_2015/icons/post_face_smile.png

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right. I misread that!

Still doesn't solve the issue of moving swing from one hopper to the next when unloading. Is this just safety safety?

·
Registered
534 Posts
dunno .. i leave the pto hooked up when moving from bin to bin, and sometimes have it running, especially when i am adjusting the swing ...
but that's me ..

and you shouldn't have it running when moving anything, but that, I assume, is for safety

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
It says what it says for one reason...liability

You guys ever read any of those OH&S and similar reports after someone gets hurt or killed? You wouldn't belive the stupid **** they go after manufacturers over, I have even read where they want safety shields made so they are more difficult to remove or integral so they are necessary for operation of the machine...everything is always someone else's fault so they need to cover their ass in every conceivable way possible including posting absolutely obvious things as well. I agree who ever wrote most of that has never run the auger, they have a law degree instead

1 - 7 of 7 Posts