The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we need to do something better for water conditioning on the farm.

Currently using a iron filter and a water softener and have never been real impressed.

Hard water with iron as well.

Any experience or reviews of the new systems would be helpful.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Our municipal, has put in a reverse osmosis, system. the pipeline(put in 20 years ago) runs to over half the area. At started the water was not treated or cleaned. The needed to upgrade, the treater in town, with new laws, they had to treat all the water. The farms with feedlots were worried, because they were having too pay for treated water.

I'm not sure if you know how the reverse osmosis works? there is a fine filter, very small holes that only let water molecule through. After a set amount of water has been filtered, You reverse the water flow to flush out filter(that water is not used)

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Can't have copper pipes must be all pex.The systems are real good if you can get one big enough, water is very pure. also removes any treatment so no use storing it in bottles it will actually go stale quite fast.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CRAP. Copper pipes here. I've heard RO water will try to pull molecules back so I take it actually "corrodes" the copper?

·
Registered
548 Posts
We have pretty hard water lots of iron turns everything red so we when we built our new house my brother inlaw who works for Anderson Pump House in North Battleford designed us a system and it works awesome. We pump the water from the well into a cistern(well is a long ways from house and have 500 cows drinking from well also so we wanted good water pressure in the house) only at night(valve opens on a timer float in the cistern to stop over filling) the water oxidizes in the cistern then goes through a cartridge type filter and then the softener. Our water is perfect now glasses are crystal clear, white clothes stay white. We have a small RO system just for drinking. Cartridge filters last 2-3 months. Its a pretty simple system and has worked good for 7 years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We have RO system installed and maintained by Culligan. (Company in ND, USA) We have copper pipe feeding the system with small diameter plastic to a separate faucet on kitchen sink as well as refrigerator water and ice maker. RO uses a lot more water than what is purified. Our system produces 5 gallons of waste water for every gallon of drinking water it produces. We can live with this as it is only used for drinking water and ice.

·
Registered
756 Posts
If you have copper pipes I am pretty sure you can add a ph adjuster to your RO water and things will be ok. If you are not limited on supply I think RO is the way to go. Cost has come down considerably from ten years ago.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you have copper pipes I am pretty sure you can add a ph adjuster to your RO water and things will be ok. If you are not limited on supply I think RO is the way to go. Cost has come down considerably from ten years ago.
You are exactly right. My well water is so hard you can hit it with a hammer. Anderson pump house put in a full house ro 4 years ago. Big up front cost but fairly cheap to run after that. I am still on my first pail of antiscaleant and use a couple bags of soda ash a year to bring the ph of the water up to neutral. Just changed the membrane for the first time a couple weeks ago. Best part about it is every sink, toilet and appliance look like new yet.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sold!

That’s what I want to hear! At this point I don’t care what it costs but I’ll piss and moan a bit while they are doing the quote.

·
Premium Member
5,391 Posts
If you put it in let us know if you have any problems with copper pipes leaking. I have heard about the copper pipe issues 3rd hand but am not sure what to believe.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Have any of you guys heard or seen this RO system clean up high sulfur leaves?? Ours gets high enough mid summer when its dry the cows walk away from the water troughs and go to the sh*tty green slough and drink.. Turns those white twine filters black with a brown film about like whats in a cow pond after a week worth of just using water in the house. Even stinks after cooking it for coffee, need to put something in, but everyone has different ideas. Don't want to spend big money on something that doesn't work. Getting tired of having to buy bottled water to drink and cook with. Thanks, Sorry to highjack your post

·
Registered
465 Posts
our whole house system

Sold!

That’s what I want to hear! At this point I don’t care what it costs but I’ll piss and moan a bit while they are doing the quote.

When we built out house in 2013, we put in a whole house systems. Our well is 150GPM, but it was 6000PPM of everything. Iron, Sulphate and 3000ppm hardness. Leave it in 2L pop bottle overnight and it would look like yellow milk. the water that comes out of the RO is about 15ppm with a new membrane and after 2 years it was 33ppm. cleaner than bottles water. I change the membrane every 2 years. 500$

We got our system from Anderson Pumphouse in North Battleford. Do not use culligan or any other company from the city, their systems are built for treating city water not well water. Need a company like Anderson who knows what they are doing for rural stuff. They do a lot of dairies and chicken barns etc.

Our system consists of the well pump, into the RO system, water is treated with an antiscalant for the membrane prior to entering system. anticipant is added to the well water at a rate of 15-20 ppm of inlet water. a 20L pale will last us (family of 5 and 4 horses) 1 year. a pale is about 400$. clean water comes out of RO, is treated with a small does of soda ash to bring PH back up then goes into a 300gal plastic storage tank. a 50lb bag of soda ash is like 20$ and we may use 2-3 a year. there are also 2 paper filters that I change every 3 months (20$). the 300 gal tank has a constant pressure variable pump. there is a float in the 300 gal storage tank that turns on teh system once it goes down about 60 gal.

Our system has 1 membrane, but is easily upgradeable to 2 or 3 membranes. System makes about 1.3 GPM of clean water at a ratio of 1:2 so for every 1.2 gpm of clean water, 2.4 gallons of waste goes down into the septic. you get 1.2 gallons of clean water from every 3.6 gallons of well water. We also have a line plumbed out of the mechanical room underground to a hydrant for the horses.

very happy with system. Andrew Lee was working for Anderson at the time who designed and installed system. He is an expert and this is all he does. He has since gone out on his own, but we still use him if I have any questions. highly recommended. 1-306-441-4068

The system with well pump cost about 25k

In pic below on left is RO system from Saffire (sask made), left 160L tub is for anitscalant, right 160L tub is for PH adjuster, and then the big tank. the 2 stainless steel tanks on the wall of just pressure tanks to soften the pressure pulses etc. and have pressure the second you open the tap. once every 3 year I will put some bleach in the big tank and run it through the house and clean out everything to ensure nothing is growing in tank and pipes. Never run chlorine through the RO as it will kill membranes. the 2 little black boxes are the controlled for antiscalant and ph adjuster raets. There is a better way to do these 2 things ow, but they have been flawless. I have a digital PH tester that I check th ewater with after each time I fill the 2 160L tanks.

I have to fill the 2 160 L tanks every 60 days.

We have put through 1.4 million US gallons and no issues yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
I wanted a whole hous ro system but we couldn’t get it at our house because we have iron bacteria. 90% of farm water sources will have it so get some water tests done and find a company that uses tests to make your quote. Any system that is recommended by guessing is not accurate enough imo.
We went to Emco and they get canature in Calgary to put together thier water systems. Ours ended up costing around $15000 and it was professionally installed so we got warrenty on the system. If we are not happy they will buy the system back.
It’s a chlorine injection with multimedia filters and water softener. So far I’m pretty happy. No chlorine smell and I control and test the chlorine levels using a test kit if I remember to. Have three little kids at home so didn’t really matter I wanted to make sure our water was safe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts