The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's buying there N and who is going to take a wait and see approach? Don't know what to do I need more storage so just can't justify buy more now when it won't be delivered till Feb. Not sure what to do, everything is pointing to price to stay the same till spring but who knows this is for 28 liquid in west central sask !

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Bought my 28 at the end of June. Was told that it was going to be delivered in August, then it went on allocation, and now I doubt it will show up before Jan. Best part is that the company I deal with has a pay when delivered policy, so my price is locked in and it's gone up since without anything out of pocket.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Spoke for 80 tonne of ammonium sulfate which we're spreading now.. Waiting at least into December. Lots of pullback it sounds like on corn. N NOLA dropped so did our dollar. Dollar gained a little so did NOLA. Seems as if maybe $500 N might be the price we're stuck with. I don't think there is a whole lot of upside or a whole lot of downside. Sounds like its gonna stay pretty flat.
Thought for sure we would've seen $450 N Sask.
Hope somebody has got some better prices. I need some leverage.

·
Registered
382 Posts
We bought all our 46 0 0 at end of September. The fert bins have paid for themselves many times over. 9 out of ten times it's cheaper in fall in my view. No waiting for trucks at the dealer or fear of them running out in the spring. Works for us anyway...

·
Registered
869 Posts
We're going to book it this week. western producer says that 9 out if 10 years it's higher in spring. But I agree that this might be the year it might do somthing funny like drop after jan. I don't think it will drop more than $20. Not taking a chance though.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Waiting for a drop. Grain has dropped, 2015 corn Acres dropping, fall application dropped.
Grain has dropped yes, N has come down or stayed flat for awhile. The problem that is going support the price until Feb or so and then cause an increase is logistics.
Not much going on this fall, not much going into storage along the Mississippi, USA has rail issues similar to ours last year all point to a huge logistics issue this spring trying to get product from port/plant to supplier/on farm.
Much the same as the feed mills unable to source soybean meal in the US do to logistics issue drove the Soybean/meal price up against fundamentals the same scenario could/will cause a fert price rally this spring.
I am 70% bought on N now and will be 100% or close by the end of Jan.
Waited to long last year to pull the trigger, don`t want a repeat this spring.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Grain has dropped yes, N has come down or stayed flat for awhile. The problem that is going support the price until Feb or so and then cause an increase is logistics.
Not much going on this fall, not much going into storage along the Mississippi, USA has rail issues similar to ours last year all point to a huge logistics issue this spring trying to get product from port/plant to supplier/on farm.
Much the same as the feed mills unable to source soybean meal in the US do to logistics issue drove the Soybean/meal price up against fundamentals the same scenario could/will cause a fert price rally this spring.
I am 70% bought on N now and will be 100% or close by the end of Jan.
Waited to long last year to pull the trigger, don`t want a repeat this spring.
Fear can be your worst enemy sometimes

·
Registered
273 Posts
We have also bought 100% of fertilizer needs for 2015. Year end purchases influences a lot of farms fertilizer purchase timing. I think the same as everyone here that urea may drop 20-50/mt but come spring will run up 100 or more, Phos probably has the most room to come down yet. Over the years have saved enough by buying in the fall that by being wrong once in ten years and paying to much doesn't even make blip on a radar screen.

·
Super Moderator
587 Posts
We bought all our 46 0 0 at end of September. The fert bins have paid for themselves many times over. 9 out of ten times it's cheaper in fall in my view. No waiting for trucks at the dealer or fear of them running out in the spring. Works for us anyway...

It helps we seem to get decent fertilizer tank prices out in Saskatchewan too, was talking to farmers out east buying plastic fert tanks for like $10,000 versus like the $7k out here for the same 10k USG tanks.

Doesn't take much to break even on that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Had 1/2 of acres spread to lock in price and to speed up spring seeding. Will roll the dice on the other half. Don't want to run into cash flow problems before first of year and don't need any more expenses for 2014.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Got a call from local retailer saying Urea is going up to 630 after end of Jan. With the price of oil down and crop price down what is driving this fert price up?? I was told supply is going south across boarder and we will only get so much in canada therefore price is going up!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.