The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got this photo I took with my phone loaded onto my computer so I thought I would share this.

We all love to have bigger hoppers on our combines, but here is a pretty good reason to leave the factory extensions on.

This is on a 9750 STS that has a topper with a 6" tip up.

This is taken under the right side shield. You can see the rear window of the cab on the right side of the image. The crack is big enough that I couldn't get it all in the image.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: Why I hate hopper toppers (even though I have

I agree I have seen those things do alot of damage to planetaries and rims on more than one machine. Our 9610 came with them and they were the first thing to go. They are probably alright on lighter crops like barley or sunflowers for example but for heavier crops like wheat I personally don't like them not worth the risk of breaking something in my humble opionion.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

Why do all the manufactures think a machine that will only hold 5 minutes worth of harvesting has a big enough grain tank? Sure its great to dump on the go into a grain cart, but sometimes the auger is on the unharvested side.

I believe the combine should hold a minimium of 10 minutes of harvesting time at the salesman's harvesting capacity in corn.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

i think it depends more on manufacturers....major manufacturers pay attention to that sorta stuff so they dont get lawsuits...maurer, bish, etc. We have a bish extension on our 9600 ...but after seeing how much more the 9500 we hired on could hold with the maurer extension...we're thinking about switching over to a maurer unit.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Bent wrote:

Quote:I believe the combine should hold a minimium of 10 minutes of harvesting time at the salesman's harvesting capacity in corn.

Geeeez, that would be a BIG bin! A 12 row head (30') at 5 mph would equal about 18 acres (18.18 ac.) per hour...10 minutes at this rate would be about 3 acres. In 200 bu./ac. corn, that would be about 600 bu. the grain tank would need to hold..and that would only be for your "10 minutes" worth. The size of the combine would have to grow enormously, just to support the grain tank.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Think of how much weight a full bin of wheat weighs. At 300bu. -18000 lbs. At 400bu. -24000 lbs. Now do we really need to haul that weight back and forth through the field? It's like hauling the auger wagon tractor up on top of the combine. Imagine how funny that would look!! Think of that next time you bounce your combine through a field ditch fully loaded.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts

Quote:Think of how much weight a full bin of wheat weighs. At 300bu. -18000 lbs. At 400bu. -24000 lbs. Now do we really need to haul that weight back and forth through the field? It's like hauling the auger wagon tractor up on top of the combine. Imagine how funny that would look!! Think of that next time you bounce your combine through a field ditch fully loaded.
On the Deere with the crary hopper extension I filled it right full on level ground stopped, unloaded. 12,825 kg/28274 lbs. Peas, by far the densest crop we harvest. As an owner/operator no bouncing over anything.

Don

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts

Quote:How many lbs/bu are peas? 28 000lbs...holy f#[email protected]!!
60, Sooo 28274/60= 471.23...even remembered to start the machine and empty fill auger, those 1100/45R46's at 28 P.S.I handle the load well including 30' MacDon header. Drive wheel slip, however was at a minimum.

Don

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

Quote:Why do all the manufactures think a machine that will only hold 5 minutes worth of harvesting has a big enough grain tank? Sure its great to dump on the go into a grain cart, but sometimes the auger is on the unharvested side.

First of all, it is a warranty issue. I don't have to tell you, especially in light of all the others' input here, just how much damage and even just potential damage, there can be done to a combine's frame members and main body support structure.

I know it's not always easy to keep the unloader on the open or cut side of a crop. This is especially true when opening a field for the first round or pass, but it is still just part of harvesting, and a situation we have all had to deal with, even all the added inconveniences. It is still NOT the machine's fault that corn yields are pushing 300 BPA and the hopper only holds as much, while being fed by a 16-row head.
Gripe as you will, for what relatively little time it takes to back up just far enough or cut a little more into the next pass, just to allow space for tractor and cart, because this kind of capacity and yield, was simply not available just 20 years ago. If you have to stop, STOP!!! It's not worth risking that 300 grand or even the 150 grand combine over!

Quote:
I believe the combine should hold a minimium of 10 minutes of harvesting time at the salesman's harvesting capacity in corn.

I too, would love to see just 10 minutes or at least just even somewhere between at least 5 full minutes and 5 more. Unfortunately, in a high-yielding corn crop with a big head, it's just not going to happen. I suppose maybe it could, if you drove a lot slower and only used part of your head's capacity, but that's only defeating the purpose.

Face it, your combine is doing the job it was engineered and built to do. Give it a break! It's not an ore hauler!

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
60, Sooo 28274/60= 471.23...even remembered to start the machine and empty fill auger, those 1100/45R46's at 28 P.S.I handle the load well including 30' MacDon header. Drive wheel slip, however was at a minimum.

Don

don, do you know what your front axle weight would be loaded?

No but I think I can work it out for you, based on a 80/20 hopper axle loading split. I just can't believe you missed my wheel slip joke!
The combine with header is about 28,500 front + 80% of 28274= 22619= 51119.... Gee thanks for asking, never figured that out before! Anyone think the 80/20 hopper loading split is wrong? I'm guessing.

Don

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Quote:How many lbs/bu are peas? 28 000lbs...holy f#[email protected]!!

Don

don, do you know what your front axle weight would be loaded?

·
Registered
18 Posts

Would you be able to keep the rear axle on the ground with only 20% hopper weight on it? I was thinking more like a 60-40 or 65-35 hopper split, but that would only be a guess.

·
Registered
18 Posts

After I posted, I went out and took a look at my 9400. I measured approx. 144 inches- front axle to rear axle. Figuring the turret auger as center of hopper-40 inches, I came up with a 72-28 hopper split. Sorry, should've looked before posting the first time.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts

Quote: I came up with a 72-28 hopper split.
Ok so 28274X72%=20357 +28500=48857 less but still not a traction issue!

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have one on my 9600 dont usually fill it to the brim but sometimes , wished they made a hopper topper cover like the ones on the 97 series

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
But it's kind of fun to see what people wanted 10 years ago and see how much of it has come to pass (and still will amount to nothing):
The size of the combine would have to grow enormously, just to support the grain tank.
And we now have the "Tribine" which does exactly this. But unlikely to gain any traction. Kind of seems like a solution in search of a problem.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The Tribine is a neat concept. Have they made anymore or sold any yet?

The video of the class pulling a cart in corn seems appealing at times...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts