The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've listed lots of areas Claas could improve things over the years but today I'm going to zero in on just one thing.

The demo with the 670 got me to thinking this, my daughter ran the 780, she just adjusted feeder depth to about 80 (10 to 150 scale) just below feeder chain annoying rattle limit.
I was running it last night and decided to dial it up. Capacity went up by a third but that goddam feeder chain is so noisy you cant stand to run it!:mad:
And that was still only at 120 on the depth scale.
All other aspects were fine.

Now Claas.
Splane this to me.
Draw me a picture!
Is that any way to limit a combine?:confused:
You have the most advanced combine on the planet with Cruise Pilot and CEMOS Automatic!
And yet you can't make a feeder chain that doesn't give one a headache!
WTH!
WTF!!
What an outfit!!!:mad:

End of rant!;)
AHH...:)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Don, you ran a Gibson chain a year or two ago that made a lot less noise. Was that chain able to stand up to the capacity of your combine, or did it give issues as time went on?
I thought don kept the chain for the current machine.

Why is it loud...? I think it has to do with the four strips of metal on front drum constantly hitting the loose steel chain rollers.

My 740 rattles when pushing it in soybeans and wheat. When it rattles, is when the machine is nearly beyond capacity. Because if that, I don't hear it often. I think the rattle occurs when product is back feeding over the top.my go pro showed a far amount of stems coming out the front on top. They looked a bit threshed and broken up, which made me think they were coming from top of impeller, to top of cylinder, and APS, and then being grabbed by feeder chain.

·
Super Moderator
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When mine rattles I know the machine is approaching capacity limits. Sometimes this is the only indicator as the machine is real quiet all the way around. I actually don't find the rattle all that loud.
And there's the problem.:rolleyes:
You THINK you at some sort of limit, but are you?
Nobody wants to listen to nor run in or over rattling zone, so, you don't.
Mine isn't, nowhere near any other limit.
A false and bogus limitation to throughput.:mad:
Don, you ran a Gibson chain a year or two ago that made a lot less noise. Was that chain able to stand up to the capacity of your combine, or did it give issues as time went on?
Couldn't keep a Gibson from skipping sprocket teeth and I run it crooked so long last fall it was wrecked.
So a standard chain this year which holds the world record, well for me anyway, for not skipping all season. Yet.;)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Don, if you leave your feeder depth setting at 120 and slowed down the feeder by say 150 rpm, would this reduce capacity and cause cruise pilot to slow you down considerably? Just wondering how much the extra speed effects throughput as well as noise level.

·
Super Moderator
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don, if you leave your feeder depth setting at 120 and slowed down the feeder by say 150 rpm, would this reduce capacity and cause cruise pilot to slow you down considerably? Just wondering how much the extra speed effects throughput as well as noise level.
You have it nailed, yes, it is quieter as you slow it down but you need max speed for enough capacity. Pretty well a linear relationship.
The mid shaft range is 300 to 420, pretty well have to run it at 420.

·
Super Moderator
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought don kept the chain for the current machine.

Why is it loud...? I think it has to do with the four strips of metal on front drum constantly hitting the loose steel chain rollers.

My 740 rattles when pushing it in soybeans and wheat. When it rattles, is when the machine is nearly beyond capacity. Because if that, I don't hear it often. I think the rattle occurs when product is back feeding over the top.my go pro showed a far amount of stems coming out the front on top. They looked a bit threshed and broken up, which made me think they were coming from top of impeller, to top of cylinder, and APS, and then being grabbed by feeder chain.
I don't know where or how it originates, I just know it's incredibly annoying.:mad:
I do think the increased power plus Dynamic cooling drawing less power, than you throw in a Sunnybrook concave and cylinder and you are gradually working up on feeder house limit.
But it's not exceeded yet, just needs this noise issue fixed.
And it's been needed for a long, long time!:(

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Can u install Derlin plastic strips on top feeder house rails? Maybe wrap the front drum in the stuff...or ceramic coat?

Is this why the JD7720 has the engine next to the cab so I can't hear the feeder house ?

Ant...

·
Super Moderator
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I must say this harvest is getting to be to much when the coolest minded man on the whole forum is having a melt down .Hope it gets better Don.
Thanks.
No melt down, I just think this noise is crap and quite frankly inexcusable from a company that does so many other things so well.

You know that axiom it never rains but it pours?
Just went to spray a small jug of experiential chemical for a research trail.
Can't raise center boom. By any method. Boom locked all the way down.
Pump leaks.
Never run dry.
Never froze.
30 hours on the sprayer. Maybe. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.