The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to get a factory chopper from a 9600 to spread wider without spending alot of $? I was thinking larger fins and maybe a smaller pulley on the chopper. Has anyone tried this or would it be unsafe? We will be running a 36ft head and need a bit more. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
You can get knives on the chopper that have a 90 degree bend on them essentially making them paddles which create more turbulence to push the straw out. That combined with setting the tailboard up as high as possible will be decent.

·
Registered
778 Posts
It depends which chopper you have now. I assume you have the old tri-rotor style with the small tailboard fins. In that case you cannot just change to the paddled knives jdmanitoba is talking about. Those will only fit on the newer fine cut rotors. The cheapest way to spread 36' is to install a Redekop MAV rotor upgrade. It has fan paddles on the outer ends of the rotor to get max spread, but uses straight blades on the rest of the rotor so power consumption is hardly any more. It comes with pulleys and a double rib belt for the rear drive that speeds it up about 300 rpm to approx 2400. An additional tailboard fin can be added to ensure a full 36' spread. If you want a finer chop an extra fine cut kit is available with a new knifebar and floor upgrade.

I assume by your user name you're from North Dakota. Not sure how close you are to me, but I'm a Redekop dealer and I'll give you a good price on a chopper. Call my cell anytime 204 371 9928. Chris.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts