The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a 2588 and would like to put cases 8-30 chopping corn head on front. I had a 2366 with a 6 row drago chopping head and it was a load in 160-180bu/ac corn. It handled it but not more than 3.5mph. Just hoping the 2588 would do a little better with the 8 row. I do not have to go 6mph but would be nice to be able to unload on the go and keep it above 4mph. Also how have the case chopping heads been holding up and although I love the drago I am hoping the case would do a little better job of chopping. How would it compare to JD chopping head as far as chopping quality. I know the JD has had many issues with gear boxes and such but they do a very nice job of chopping.
Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Will a 2588 handle cases chopping 8-30 corn he

A freind has a 04 2388 and bought a new 2608 this fall and it ran 5mph all year long no troubles Did a very nice job chopping too.

·
Registered
380 Posts

You will really like the CNH head, have used mine for two seasons without any issues, hands down best chopping job over all other chopping heads. Should handle it. Wet ground, high yield, hills could give it a work out, might consider a chip for more power.

·
Registered
38 Posts

A 2588 with 8 row chopping head should be no problem. I know of a few guys that run a 8 row chopping drago on 2366's no problem.

I run a 6 row chopping drago on my 1660. I have the 466 engine 180hp.

This year I could unload on the go at 3.2 to 3.4 mph in 16% to 19% corn running 195 to 215 bph. 22% to 25% 3mph unloading

Would usually run 3.5 to 4.0 and sometimes faster while combining.

Are you sure sure your 2366 is puttin out the right hp?

Mine is mostly flat ground though, I'm sure hills would make a heck of a difference. I figured if I ever moved up to a 2366 I could go 4.0 to 5.0 no problem....

I have run my head on neighbors 2188, and it plays with it @ 4.5 to 5mph, that 2188 could easily handle a 8 row drago chopping head.

Will agree on the chopping of the new CaseIH and the JD heads, they do a great job at chopping the stalks.

It would be interesting if we could see an actual chart showing exactly what hp each brand of chopping head took running in 180 bu corn @ a giving moisture for example. Compare all 6 row brands, 8 row brands,12row etc.
An ACTUAL CHART FROM A FIELD TEST not a computer desk test, using the same combine(maybe,if possible) but all the different heads.
Maybe it has been done but have never seen any chart containing such info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts