The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Re: Will a 6 row narrow head fit on a 2188 with du

Yes it will fit, but if your guess rows get narrow you will be leaning or running over corn. I have a neighbor that runs a 6 row on a deere with duals, he has for 15 years, but you do see a considerable amount of corn tipped. It is tight.

Have read that it could loosen your tolerance a little by putting on a skinnier outer dual on, like say a 16.9x46, as long as its the same circumference as the inside one.

·
Registered
929 Posts

Did it for years... works fine. You will lean stalks over on a tight contour or moderately steep side hill, but it works fine. Never had any trouble knocking ears off, or running plants down.

·
Registered
176 Posts

If you like to feed wildlife I wouldn't worry about it- But if you want to try to put all those bushels of corn into the hopper I would try avoid running a six row. How wet is your corn when you harvest? If you only do high moisture corn you would have less ears being knocked off. What size planter do you run?? If you run a 12R just use an 8 row head- You will only be off 1/3 of the time and that should be right in the middle of the corn head. And if your worried about the guess rows because of not planting straight- your going to have the same problem with the duals with the 6 row. If you run a grain cart the 8 row works better after you cut through the field and come back unloading.

·
Registered
349 Posts

We've been doing it since 94 and have had no problems. You might lean some over if you dont plant straight but rarely do you see any ears on the ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts