The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heavy rains and strong wind have pushed a lot of our thin canola down. Do lifters work when swathing canola? The canola seems to be laying sideways along the ground. We have the honey bee or schumacher lifters for our combine and was wondering about trying them on our swather. Has anyone tried using them? Thanks SouthernSK

·
Registered
542 Posts
I tried it once, had lifters on from swathing peas and went into canola that was beaten down from rain, hail and wind it worked ok if got under the the pod set but if you got the lifters in the middle of the pod set it wanted to hang up. Be careful near the swaths cause lifters turn in a huge pitchfork not fun pulling canola off

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
We've used them before lots, and work well. You have to leave a decent gap near the divider's if your not using saw's or it will bind at the divider's.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the feed back. Do you think it is better to use lifters to keep some stubble height than cutting the canola with knife close to the ground?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Been a while since we needed them and I'm hoping the canola don't go any lower but it seemed to be a field to field situation but from what I can remember they didn't really let you cut higher it was more helping where it was just to low. Moral of the story if you can get away without them it's better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts