The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brother of a local farmer won a 300 and some million dollar lottery about 2 years ago, he took the cash after taxes about 172 million. You can't believe the new paint showing up. Got me thinking, would I keep farmin or say the heck with it and coast on out? Dave

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Why in the **** would you want to keep farming? Buy some tropical island some were and spend the rest of my life with a dark rum in one hand and a dark tit in the other

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would keep farming from may to October anyways than boom outta here. Just the odd phone call to the local trucking company to tell them what bin and where to go. Also my cell number, email address would be changed 2 mins after I won the lotto

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'd keep farming, I enjoy it too much. HOWEVER, there would be major changes. If the wheat crop wouldn't make 30, Id leave it lay and let somebody else have it. All of my farms would have new fences- no more hot wires. No more cows. I hate cows. Might have a few stockers through the winter, but very light numbers.

Almost forgot- I'd buy a new pickup

·
Registered
313 Posts
First I'd muscle my way in and buy up all the rented ground i could get my hands on away from all the A - hole neighbors that think they're big shots and think they're entitled to every inch of ground. Then I'd rent all that ground to a younger farmer or smaller operation that could stand to gain some ground but have a hard time coming by more ground to farm, and rent it to them at an extremely cheap price to boot. Then I'd just keep 80 acres for myself to farm and I'd have a new 48 row planter, biggest and fanciest tractors, biggest combine I can get and a fleet of insanely tricked out custom semis and grain trailers to haul it all to town. Then I'd go on vacation.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'd probably have a lot of grand ideas. But, truth be told it would probably end up making me miserable in the end. I've never seen anyone end happy with a ton of money they suddenly came into. I've got a great wife, two dogs, and not much else. It's fine with me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
1. Get a good out-of-town tax and/or estate planning attorney

2. Set-up an LLC to accept the "cash option" prize through in order to maintain anonymity (that's the root cause of most lotto winner's problems and unhappiness, they want everyone to know they just became a millionaire. Keep your mouth shut darn it. No one needs the attention)

3. Pay off all current debt, and continue farming the best I know how, but with a little more security and opportunity to purchase the land that I currently rent when it does come up for sale. Still wouldn't run up land rent just to keep it though

4. Invest the rest it in the most stable, low risk investments possible like muni-bonds and land

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,978 Posts
Don't have farm but would buy a small one just to have somewhere for the Abrams Tank and 2-3 monsters trucks I would buy too tear up the land. I guess would also need a D11, 100tonne digger, Cat dump truck and other assorted toys to make a race track for the monster trucks!:D:D

Did someone say farming?? What's that?;)

Toys toys and more blokey toys.....................

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'd keep farming, maybe not a large scale, but I'd own all I farm, and make it as efficient as possible with land improvements, and such. I would have a nice size shop, not for working on farm equipment, but for my hobbies since most of my farm equipment would be under warranty. There are some cars and tractors I would like to collect. Also, I would be gone parts of the summer and most of the winter. I have many parts of the country and world that I want to see. I would build a new house, nothing too big, but it would have a lot of luxuries that I would have to do without if I built now. Other than that, there's not much I can think about that I'd change. Some of it I would share with others to help them out with their debts.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Some of it I would share with others to help them out with their debts.
Pick me, pick me!;)

My lotto dream would be to fund an independent combine testing at PAMI again like they had until 1992.

Here is my favorite test as it's the only one that required the lightening bolt capacity chart as the Tr was so much higher capacity than the reference combine, a Deere 7720 Titan II.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/eng7932/$FILE/649.pdf

That's what I'd do with a lot of found money.:)

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I'd drop all our leased/rented acres, lease out the majority of our own land but keep about 640 acres to play around with. It would be hard to quit completely at my age.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'd probably start farming for myself. It just hasn't been in my cards and it's pretty impossible to start around here from absolute scratch. Almost bought a half section when I was 19, but had it bought out from under me. Oh well I don't by lottery tickets but still get to run all the new stuff anyways, can't say I have anything to complain about.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It would be nice to never pull another hitch pin again, A tractor for every tool. Dave
LOL. That was what my Grandfather said too!

My two old tractors and the combine would receive total rebuilds. They've been around so long I have a sentimental attachment to them. Every implement around here would be replaced. The wife would need a new grain truck, and house! A bit more land and maybe an employee.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.