The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got in from checking fields after the rain and wind storms today and was very shocked at one of my corn fields. I have a 140 acre field of pioneer corn of which 100 acres is 7632HR and the other 40 acres is 7443. The 7632 is 15-20% snapped off at the ground and 7443 has some snapped off but not nearly as bad. The corn was not far from being waist high, I was wondering if anybody else is seeing snapped off corn in there fields. Checked a field of 39D97 and it is okay but isn't as tall. I was a DeKalb man until last year with the wet corn so now I am second guessing myself about going to pioneer. I have seen goose necked corn before but never seen corn snap off like this. I don't want to complain to bad when everybody out west is battling the water but sure was pist off when I had such a nice field coming and now to see it laying on the ground.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Greensnap. Wonderful. Had some minor damage on a field 2 weeks ago, called insurance. Got hit again last night, called insurance again. Should be getting paid. Do they offer greensnap/ extra harvest expense insurance up there?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
no they offer about 300 bucks an acre general insurance and nothing else unless you wanna buy hail insurance. I don't wanna leave the house this morning at all to see what surprises there are out there.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
The 75-80+ mile per hour winds on Monday evening didn't care what the brand or hybrid was; there is greensnap regardless.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
And it's not just corn. I was trying to figure out why my buckwheat looks like it has chemical damage before I even sprayed it and came to the conclusion that it was wind. Looks much better where it was sheltered by the trees unless it got buried in branches. Hopefully it recovers better than corn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sprayed twice with roundup at .75 litre a acre. Pioneer rep said they are seeing that 7632 and 7332 have more brittle snap. Driving by the field you would never know it now but when u walk in it there is damage. The funniest thing now is most of the stocks that cracked off have tiller that is growing and is about six inches high.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Sprayed twice with roundup at .75 litre a acre. Pioneer rep said they are seeing that 7632 and 7332 have more brittle snap. Driving by the field you would never know it now but when u walk in it there is damage. The funniest thing now is most of the stocks that cracked off have tiller that is growing and is about six inches high.
Don't feel too bad then. Your tillers are just about as tall as our sick yellow corn. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree 80 mph all varieties with have greensnap but when its not 80mph winds Pioneer is always the first to snap. Stopped raising the spindly stuff and went to Dekalb. More trash after harvest but I don't like looking at my corn laying down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts