The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what people are using for wind forecasts? I've tried a few, Accuweather, Enviro Canada, Weather network, etc. found one called wind finder.com which looks promising.

Isn't there one they use for airplanes or nautical? Would like to find the most accurate one for spraying, as over the last few years it seems as though wind has become my arch enemy.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Since I live basically at the US border I use the NOAA forecast which gives detailed speed and direction forecast. I did talk to someone yesterday who is quite happy with weather underground but I have not tried that yet myself. Environment Canada is about as close to a joke nowadays as one could imagine...

Reactions: chance2

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I don't use any "forecast". I use a hand held wind meter and, if the wind seems to be increasing, I check before each fill. However, I can usually tell without the meter if it's too high or not. The meter is so I can put the actual wind speed/direction on the app sheet. When the wind is changing speed, I will record the highest reading I get. What I would REALLY like is a wind speed/direction calculator right on the roof of the sprayer that takes the sprayers speed and direction into account and calculates the actual wind speed on the fly. Humidity readings for products like Liberty would be nice as well.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Does everybody have issues with Environment Canada? This is one of 2 web-sites that check for weather daily in this country(farmzone is other) and find them to be pretty consistent for this area. That includes the weather radar that have seen people having issues with elsewhere as well - feeds off of Strathmore. Last week was out of country and had some praying(that spraying but maybe a Freudian slip) being done and got worse signals from an acreage owner who, of course, was right next to where spraying, than these websites. For longer term stuff have one gentleman at the Alberta Agroclimatic information services who provides some scarily accurate weather ideas when I talk with him 2-3 times/year. I like to complain as much as the next guy, but have to say that I think weather info for this area provided now has improved with most other info services. Weather underground is go-to site when out of country for other regions. If person liked to play around too much have seen some stuff out of some Norway models that is interesting as well.

The most consistent thing about weather in this part of Western Canada is how inconsistent and dramatic it can be and pretty sure that causes issues. Weather may be one of the most talked about topics for Canadians.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Does everybody have issues with Environment Canada? This is one of 2 web-sites that check for weather daily in this country(farmzone is other) and find them to be pretty consistent for this area.
Same here. The only problem is there's not a site that's especially close to me, so I typically look at the forecast on each side of me and look for an average (often the worse forecast is the one that we'll get). All of the weather sites get their raw data from Environment Canada. Environment Canada does a good job with the resources we give them. Weather prediction is one area that I feel strongly public money needs to go to.

Weather Underground pulls data from Environment Canada and also the Alberta government's local IMCIN network of weather monitoring stations, so their algorithms are able to do a bit more localized predictions. I find their hourly forecast to actually be pretty darn close, which is pretty amazing as nearly everything WU forecasts is done purely by algorithm--I'm quite certain no one at WU has ever heard of my little town, let alone been there!

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Will give another endorsement on windy, pretty well if it’s green then you can’t spray, if it’s blue you’re in the clear and their forecasts are usually pretty good. Says green is 20km ish but I think their scale is off.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Looks like Windy gives very different results depending on which prediction model you choose. The NAM 5k model seems to be the most accurate today.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Will give another endorsement on windy, pretty well if it’s green then you can’t spray, if it’s blue you’re in the clear and their forecasts are usually pretty good. Says green is 20km ish but I think their scale is off.
20 KPH is pretty much ideal for spraying flat ground but too much for rolly ground.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Very interesting topic I've had the sprayer parked since Friday and it's really starting to get to me.

I'd be happy if I could get some 20 km wind or there about. I use my common sense when deciding to spray but I bounce between weather network environment Canada and both give me opposite results. i think they have enough trouble predicting rain that their wind predictions are even more unreliable.

And what wind speed is too windy to spray anyways?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Very interesting topic I've had the sprayer parked since Friday and it's really starting to get to me.

I'd be happy if I could get some 20 km wind or there about. I use my common sense when deciding to spray but I bounce between weather network environment Canada and both give me opposite results. i think they have enough trouble predicting rain that their wind predictions are even more unreliable.

And what wind speed is too windy to spray anyways?
I've sprayed in 80KPH winds with no problems. I've seen guys do incredible damage to neighbouring fields spraying in 15KPH winds. There is no magic cut off wind speed between safe and unsafe. Way too many variables.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I sprayed in 30 kph wind today, occasionally gusting to 50. Slowed down to lower my pressure so the drop size could be a bit bigger and less prone to drifting. Watched the pattern fairly closely and there was definitely some drift, but I was amazed at how well the spray stayed put. The downwind field is my own and is summerfallow, so no concerns about damage there. Another half mile downwind from that is prairie pasture, so minimal concerns there as well. If the neighboring fields weren't my own, and were different crops I'd have thought twice for sure.

Next up for spraying is roundup-ready canola, which will require a bunch more caution with wind speed.

We've had a Weatherdog mounted to the roof of the tractor for years which is pretty good at keeping an eye on current wind conditions. It is supposed to compensate for travel and predict drift direction, and mostly seems to be pretty good at that. Sometimes while driving the wind speed is not measured quite right.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah I'm going to go tomorrow night regardless I think within reason of course, as long as my neighbours crops aren't downwind of me anyways. I think 20 gusting 30 is fairly reasonable.

I discovered and app on twitter and did some digging to find it again, for people in alberta anyways I'm not sure how useful it is seems a bit more reliable and detailed than the weather network....
http://agriculture.alberta.ca/acis/m#!data

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I've sprayed in 80KPH winds with no problems. I've seen guys do incredible damage to neighbouring fields spraying in 15KPH winds. There is no magic cut off wind speed between safe and unsafe. Way too many variables.

I have a hard time believing the 80km. Can't keep a hat on in that let alone chemical on the field. Maybe did no damage to the next field but can't believe the chemical would touch the ground in the field you were spraying.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts