The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sooooo over my tugalong Case/Hesston windrower. Can the newer (2012-14) 40ft fronts be used for harvesting AND windrowing? My thought bubble is to trade my 936D on a 940D front and buy a SH JD windrower tractor. Use it for both cutting down Canola and direct heading Cereals.
Feel free to prick the bubble (but do it gently)

·
Super Moderator
5,038 Posts
Good one!

Feel free to prick the bubble (but do it gently)
Prick the bubble gently, that's funny.:)

Doesn't need pricked though, that's quite doable with MacDon for sure.
Main thing there is to be sure both windrower tractor and combine adapter are setup quick disconnect, meaning quick multi coupler hydraulic couplers on all three.

Not sure with Deere fronts though.

I will warn you however no matter which one you setup I'll guarantee you you'll buy another front within 2 years.
While they can likely be swapped in, I'll just throw out a number, 20 minutes by a couple of experienced people, it's still becomes a logistical issue, yeah, it's pretty easy, but you still have to do it AND what if it works out we could swath and harvest at the same time?:confused:

No big deal, setup with one front for now, but if you don't have two in a couple years let me know, as my dad would say I'll put a mark on the wall.;)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Can use the same header on the combine and swather if you go the Macdon route only if you don't want a flex draper. Was told this is a couple yrs away yet.

Prick the bubble gently, that's funny.:)

Doesn't need pricked though, that's quite doable with MacDon for sure.
Main thing there is to be sure both windrower tractor and combine adapter are setup quick disconnect, meaning quick multi coupler hydraulic couplers on all three.

Not sure with Deere fronts though.

I will warn you however no matter which one you setup I'll guarantee you you'll buy another front within 2 years.
While they can likely be swapped in, I'll just throw out a number, 20 minutes by a couple of experienced people, it's still becomes a logistical issue, yeah, it's pretty easy, but you still have to do it AND what if it works out we could swath and harvest at the same time?:confused:

No big deal, setup with one front for now, but if you don't have two in a couple years let me know, as my dad would say I'll put a mark on the wall.;)
Using one header for both might work if its a one man show. I know I cant combine and swath at the same time but have swathed in the am and combined in the afternoon so would have lost time switching headers. It is nice knowing that if the combine header piles up in wheat you can run home and grab the swather and your back running for the day.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Will Stanton on here converted a 936 to go on a deere windrower. Not built for it but possible. More expensive but I bought a m155 with a 40ft D60 and an adaptor . My old 9750 loves it. You could purchase an old m150 with its front and still get an adaptor.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You can use a 640D on a JD windrower the same as you can with a MacDon on a MD windrower. What model combine do you have, will a 640D suit it?
Thanks all for your opinions. I have a 9650 STS.
We generally never cut standing crop while windrowing.
Usually we start picking up canola rows about 7 days before we actually get all the canola cut down.

Blanch windrowing with a front putting it out the end is not an option here due to the size of the crops.
If I understand it correctly the only change from windrowing with a JD tractor would be attaching the centre belt to go to direct heading with the STS. I guess that is my question in the first place. How hard is it.
Would only be done once a season.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 600D headers are not compatible with your 50 series combine you need a 60 series or newer to make the header float system work your best bet would be to get a macdon windrower and a D60 header and buy the center adapter to fit your combine.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 600D headers are not compatible with your 50 series combine you need a 60 series or newer to make the header float system work your best bet would be to get a macdon windrower and a D60 header and buy the center adapter to fit your combine.
Ok, thanks FS. Was trying to stay green as my main employee is colour blind and would hate to lose him. However it is what it is and looking at prices of machines in Oz if I am going to a Macdon I might as well go all the way and buy a tractor complete with D60 header and just use it as a stand alone. Thanks all for your input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.