The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using a paired row john deere conservapak to seed winter wheat and winter canola (occasionally spring wheat too), and need to speed up my seeding season a bit. I've had good luck with my 1870, but before I decide to just go with a wider conservapak I wondered what everyone's drill of choice would be if you were only seeding these two crops. I typically seed 1.5-3" deep, aiming to leave about 1-1.5" of dirt over the seed placed in moisture.

The downfalls to my drill are speed (I seed canola at 3mph to prevent burying the front rows), accuracy, and residue management. I chop the stubble to the ground and use a vertical tillage tool before seeding and the drill will still ball up stubble going through heavy areas.

The other options I've considered are a planter (I'd keep the current drill for wheat), bourgaults new 3820 opener, or a john deere 1890. We've always used hoe drills on my farm, but there are several disc drills in the area. The only times the hoe drills shine is on the really dry years when we're seeding 3-4" deep, but even then "shine" is a relative term! Any experience/ thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think you farm in such a wildly different area that any of my input would be useless... ive never even seen winter canola and when i tried to get a bag mercedes wint canola shipped from ontario to alberta they just laughed at me...
We DID however buy a planter.. am about to start using it for spring canola... saturday ish

Used it on 120 of canola last yr and im a believer...

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
but there are several disc drills in the area. The only times the hoe drills shine is on the really dry years when we're seeding 3-4" deep, but even then "shine" is a relative term!
My neighbours right next door have a Salford disc drill. It makes an excellent job in all conditions and I think its a 40 foot machine and can roll right along at 6mph +.
Makes every hoe drill made look like a turd.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well we did NH3 last fall. In furrow we are putting liquid phos and some other ingredients ( tickle of humic acid..boron) but it does have midrow banders and we could do whatever dries we want.. also a drop tube option right ahead of the closinf wheels we could apply dries.. or liquid i suppose.
Float on sulphur ahead of the planter
Toss 1 bag in each row unit..x 32 at 2.5 lbs ( depending on seed tkw) acre (225 k seeds/ acre) and u can plant alot of acres without filling!!
Nice even depth and the canola is up in 2 to 5 days earlier than the drill.
Dont be scared!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts