The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this before in sk, ab or nd? Reason i am thinking is i have about 1100 acres that are 30 miles from the home farm and i would like to get it all into the same crop to simplify the moving process when we seed and harvest. I know i would need to watch for scab but would it really be much worse than when we go sp wheat on sp wheat ground? Or when we go sp wheat after our winter wheat? thanks. I know agronomically its not the best idea but just thinking.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yep been there......major disease problems the second year. Best advice...don't, or spend lots on disease control.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not seed to something completely different on all the land? So many crops to choose from.
Been thinking maybe flax but not sure i want 1100 acres of flax. Its hilly and rocky lighter land so peas and lentils are out. Not good enough for soybeans so flax, sp wheat or barley,is about it for me.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It is done is SD west of Pierre every year on 10 of thousands of acres. They are using hoe type drills that move dirt that probably helps with disease, its on gumbo type dirt.

·
Registered
372 Posts
No where close to you but we've done it here in the Pacific NW with terrible results. Like above, major disease problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
fungal diseases could be managed if you're willing to spend more money but wheat streak mosiac could be a big risk, which you can't do anything about once its infected. But logistics trumps good agronomy sometimes...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wheat streak mosaic is what got us. Completely wiped out three fields. However it was no-till winter wheat after spring wheat with no "green" die down...the worst possible conditions for wheat streak. Spring wheat after winter wheat could, potentially, give time to kill any grasses or volunteer wheat that harbor the mite. Burning and tillage also help control it.
Agrogeek is right about logistics.
That said, we will never follow wheat on wheat again, be it spring or winter wheat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts