The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I fill mine with 50gal of RV antifreeze and spray each section till its pink and then drain the rinse tank. Make sure you switch all bypass valves and fence row, i run my tank agitaion for a bit. Then park in shed and tuck in for a 6 month sleep....

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have a case sprayer, the only thing I do different is drain the booms before and after the antifreeze is put through. I have a ball valve on each end of each section that you just walk along and turn open. I make sure that the agitation is on and that some is pumped through the chem injector as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so yall just run it threw the sprayer and then drain it all out? Had one to freeze last year and really costed to $$ to get it back togeather so trying to make sure i do it right this time..Thanks for the help Guys!!!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
We've been using either RV antifreeze or winter washer fluid. Drain everything out first, then dump in 1/2 a drum of washer fluid. Circulate through every valve. Spray through the boom 1 section at a time. Drain everything when finished. Leave all valves in an open position so that you know every valve is drained.

The sprayer winterizing solution is supposed to be better. Won't dry out seals, etc, etc. But we've been using rv antifreeze and/or winter washer fluid since the early 1990's and haven't had any problems. And it's a lot cheaper too! Some will also tell you that you should use the winterizing solution because it's better for the environment....I think the washer fluid likely ends up on the highways too. And what about when we use Finish/etc to rinse out tanks.....

We just bought a drum of winter washer fluid this fall. Used 1/2 of it for the sprayer. Will use the rest up over winter in vehicles I'm sure!

Andrew

Edit: Oh yeah... remove drain plugs from all filters too! (Or take the whole filter out. May depend on filter orientation!)

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
Just make a fitting to blow air into the plumbing system. For our 4420 Case we blow air into the main fill port. I then sit in the cab turning on the different sections and blow them out. I will put a couple gallons of windshield washer fluid in the tank in the end to keep the pump lubed and leave it at that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Although we haven't winterized a newer high clearance sprayer the principals are still the same. I put some antifreeze in the pump and and lower lines after I've drained off all of the water that I can. take one nozzle off on each boom section(one section at a time and put 150 or so psi of air to it with all the boom sections turned on. Takes all the water out of the valves, lines and nozzles. Never had any problems with rate controllers or nozzles since we've been doing this.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Just make a fitting to blow air into the plumbing system. For our 4420 Case we blow air into the main fill port. I then sit in the cab turning on the different sections and blow them out. I will put a couple gallons of windshield washer fluid in the tank in the end to keep the pump lubed and leave it at that.
x2 I do the same thing. After blowing with air, I open up all valves including rinse valves and purge. I remove the flowmeter section and any hoses which droop down to get all water out of the plumbing. In my case, there are two spots, each which gives access to one way valves. I use a fiberglass electric fence pole to trigger the one way valves to make sure no water is sitting on top of them. I open up the pump and make sure it drains out. Then I add about 1 gallon of washer field to bottom of rinse tank and pump to make sure nothing left behind that may freeze.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
50 gal? Jeeze why so much? We buy a 45 gal drum I pump about 25 gal in tank, run agitation, charge booms and then drain it all, that 50 gal should be good for two seasons

·
Registered
658 Posts
I use RV antifreeze 80 liters flush every boom and a little through tips, crack open ball valves on each boom then close back up leave some in the booms and system, done this for many years!!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I fill my rinse tank windsheild washer fluid. Then perform a rinse cycle, then run it out the booms. Making sure to open and close each and every valve, leaving them open when done. Also drain everything afterwards.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Local Viterra (now CPS) used to use 28-0-0. Never had any problems. So we decided to use it last year since the first thing sprayed in the spring is 28-0-0 on the fall rye. 1 fitting broke/froze and 250gal of 28-0-0 dumped on the ground. That was an expensive lesson. (Why 250gal? Took an old tote to haul it home. Figured we would be spraying it out in the spring anyway, so might as well just fill 'er up!)

Andrew

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.