The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're cutting in Cheyenne Wells and I happened to find some baling wire out in the middle of the field with my combine. Everything went through fine except 1 or 2 pieces (we think) that wrapped around the back of the rotor down in the gap between the end of the rotor and the very back plate. We can't seem to get it out at all and was hoping someone had an idea we hadn't thought of yet, short of pulling the entire combine apart. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
324 Posts
The only way I have been able to get it all is to pull the rotor. The least amount I have puled out is 12 inches. The most 40 foot!!! Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
4,677 Posts
Can't put rotor in neutral and rotate backwards?
Or does wire not turn with rotor?
Can't leave it on short term?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Only way I've heard is pulling the rotor, had a guy locally that raises onions on drip tape. The tape gets strung everywhere and when he rotated to a bean crop they kept smelling something burning but couldn't find where it was coming from. The dealer found it.........a big ball of melted drip tape wrapped around the rear rotor bearing.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
If you pull off the covers on the top rear of the feeder house as well as the covers to expose the front rotor bearing. You can then remove the front rotor bearing & the plate holding it. You can then slide the rotor forward a few inches which will allow you to get at the wire. Just don't let it go too far otherwise the back of the rotor will drop on your separator grates. I have had to un wrap hemp straw from the back & front of the rotor. Its not that hard of a job, but will require some time, just make sure the timing wheel & rotor sensor are in place properly. Ours fell off after a repair and caused a lot of damage.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you cant get though the cover at the rear of the rotor support the rear of the rotor and pull the gearbox off. Did ours a couple of years ago, only took an hour and a half.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,879 Posts
I would try and get it all before any more harvest as it may chew into the gearbox seal and then you will have some down time.

If it makes you feel any better the Funniest thing I have seen in there was about 8 metres of 3/4 inch air compressor hose. Well it actually wasn't that funny. Many hours lost.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Had this problem a few years back started two fires in two days just before harvest fire bans where put by on by shire. Wasn't the greatest conditions to put out a fire. Finally found out it was hot bits of wire getting thrown out the back of the header. Didn't realise this was a common problem until talking to a Jd mechanic trying to work out what the **** was going on. Seems to be the cause of a lot of green headers burning to the ground!

·
Registered
870 Posts
We're cutting in Cheyenne Wells and I happened to find some baling wire out in the middle of the field with my combine. Everything went through fine except 1 or 2 pieces (we think) that wrapped around the back of the rotor down in the gap between the end of the rotor and the very back plate. We can't seem to get it out at all and was hoping someone had an idea we hadn't thought of yet, short of pulling the entire combine apart. Thanks in advance!
Do not harvest another minute till you get that wire out. Our 9650 rotor gearbox blew last year and we found it had no oil. When we pulled the box off we found wire wrapped around the hub at the back of the rotor. It had taken the seal out at the front of the gearbox and the oil was lost. You have no idea its happening cause it goes out with the straw. Good one John Deere, how about a bloody oil level sensor!
Btw. Having removed and replaced a rotor gearbox I would do it that way. Just support the back of the rotor with wood and pull the box back. You would have to loosen/maybe remove the rotor belt but still comparitevly easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts