The Combine Forum banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
We have a few billing themselves as farmers around here. Media fawning over them. Wedding picture next to farm trials in the magazines. Times are changing. Personally I like women to be special. I will pull them out of the ditch if stuck, or hold the door open without thinking.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I love the comments saying, all the women just find an easier way of doing things, B.S. what a joke, like all the sudden they're so much smarter and they can just float around effortlessly, completing all these hard tasks which require some effort. Giving the impression that guys are walking around with a club grunting everything out.

Here's my suggestion, fire all your male employees, hire all the qualified women you can think of for the same wages, and let me know how your farm turns out in five years. Mind you I'm sure I will see you in Ritchie Brothers before that.

How many of you guys have actually hired female workers? To do real actual farm work other than just driving a piece of equipment, Any of you? I have. Other than your wife or kids where you hold them by the hand and give them high praise for holding a rope or holding the steering wheel, that doesn't really count. I have had three Women work on my farm at different times, and yes one of them was one of the better employee operators I had on the farm for equipment, but that's where it ends.
And if you think fixing equipment and maintenance on a farm is not strenuous or labourous, you are not fixing things on your farm, when bearings don't want to move, or pins don't want to go in, you can't just simply bring the bobcat over and oh let's just push that in!
Do you really think you can use an impact gun on every nut and bolt you see? sometimes you got to just grab that 1-1/2 inch wrench and pull.
I could just imagine all the wasted time on a farm, when one has not the strength to complete the tasks, let's say your grain auger gets a little stuck in the snow, you spent two hours trying to start up the tractor that wasn't plugged in, or was, and start pulling things around wasting literally an hour when all it needed was a little bit of muscle to push the thing out.
Perhaps I just run my business a little bit differently than you guys do, I'm willing to use a little bit of brute strength to increase productivity and efficiency, rather than driving equipment all over the yards and farms, I might just grab those couple barrels of chemical and flip them onto the deck from the box of the pickup.
How do you guys change tires on the sprayers? With two guys we can do it in less than two hours by just using the forks on the tractor and muscling them on, One guy loosen the other tighten, Or do you wave the magic dealer wand and have them show up with 2 guys? Either way works.

I just thought of another tough one, flipping the sprockets on feeder chains, good luck pulling that shaft out with a couple of girls.

Sorry guys, but I consider that all farm work, and I just simply don't see it happening with women, but if you don't do any maintenance or repairs on your own, I could see it possibly working.
Can a woman be a heavy duty mechanic?
https://library.cotr.bc.ca/press/fullhdLine.asp?ID=319

·
Registered
527 Posts
I think the 50/50 is utter bull sh*t, thats implying that when people start thinking careers that the eqaul amount think about doing the same jobs. This is not the case.

In my part of the world , in a rural area, not one female in my class, above or below picked a career in ag..none of them had interest in it, even the ones of farms, one did end up in ag research after a life time in sydney.....alot of the guys went to the ag industry...

I would think this the same in alot of 1st world countries.

So why must there be 50/50 if out 100 students 2 females chose ag and 10 males choose ag.

Alot fledto the city for the good life and left the dust and flies behind....

Im all for females doing whatever they please and know some very capable ones..but the 50/50 is flawed..

Ant...
What is your experience on this topic in the mining game?

Mine is that females get unfairly favoured over males. There is a lot of media hype about how they are better operators, more careful, etc, than the men. But it is just not true. Some are great. Some are rough as guts. Just like some men are great, but some are rough as guts. But the female operators often get favoured because it makes the company look good for being equal opportunity in their newspaper stories.

I have no problem with females doing any job, if they can do it well. But it should be equal, not unfairly favoured. I never once saw a female diesel fitter or welder, why aren?t the mining companies pushing that like they do the female plant operators?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
We have alot of female operators, some good some useless, same as the blokes, we have 1 3rd year apprentice female fitter.

If your female, good looking, and nice, you will get favoured to death....even if ordinary operator you will get the oppurtunity at other roles within the company over the males in the production side...and admin side....maintenance about eqaul.

We would be on the higher side of the % of females for a mining unit....it doesnt bother me as i am at a dead end career wise....

There a business implications with maternity leave....that a business cant ignore given the wages are above 100k and you may as well double that for true cost...we are decent size site we can absorb it to a degree....a smaller business unit it would break it...thats the reality...

Ant...

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Id like to ask the group...

If your wife wasnt married to you would they be in agriculture? If she was single would she be working on a farm now? If she married an accountant whomhad there own business would she go farming during the day or help the accounting business?

Ant...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Id like to ask the group...

If your wife wasnt married to you would they be in agriculture? If she was single would she be working on a farm now? If she married an accountant whomhad there own business would she go farming during the day or help the accounting business?

Ant...
Nope, probably not. In fact she probably wouldn't even live in the country.

But I'll counter you with this:
How many raise their daughters with equal opportunity to take over the family farm as they do their sons?

·
Registered
272 Posts
It seems this discussion has been completely sidelined from Chris' original intent, which has nothing to do with how well suited women are for farming, but rather how women who do farm are treated.

The point was, whether or not you think they are suited is irrelevant. There are women farming and there will be more women farming going forward, and these women deserve not to be patronized, to be respected for the positions they hold and not questioned based on their gender. If there is business to be conducted with a female farmer, it should be done on an equal playing field, regardless whether she can lift a concave or not.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I love the comments saying, all the women just find an easier way of doing things, B.S. what a joke, like all the sudden they're so much smarter and they can just float around effortlessly, completing all these hard tasks which require some effort. Giving the impression that guys are walking around with a club grunting everything out.

And if you think fixing equipment and maintenance on a farm is not strenuous or labourous, you are not fixing things on your farm, when bearings don't want to move, or pins don't want to go in, you can't just simply bring the bobcat over and oh let's just push that in!
Do you really think you can use an impact gun on every nut and bolt you see? sometimes you got to just grab that 1-1/2 inch wrench and pull.
I could just imagine all the wasted time on a farm, when one has not the strength to complete the tasks, let's say your grain auger gets a little stuck in the snow, you spent two hours trying to start up the tractor that wasn't plugged in, or was, and start pulling things around wasting literally an hour when all it needed was a little bit of muscle to push the thing out.
Perhaps I just run my business a little bit differently than you guys do, I'm willing to use a little bit of brute strength to increase productivity and efficiency, rather than driving equipment all over the yards and farms, I might just grab those couple barrels of chemical and flip them onto the deck from the box of the pickup.
How do you guys change tires on the sprayers? With two guys we can do it in less than two hours by just using the forks on the tractor and muscling them on, One guy loosen the other tighten, Or do you wave the magic dealer wand and have them show up with 2 guys? Either way works.

I just thought of another tough one, flipping the sprockets on feeder chains, good luck pulling that shaft out with a couple of girls.

Sorry guys, but I consider that all farm work, and I just simply don't see it happening with women, but if you don't do any maintenance or repairs on your own, I could see it possibly working.
My grandpa is a very successful farmer. Since his 40's, his back and neck have been in shambles. I have never seen him lift more than 25lbs and he can't click a 1/2" torque wrench to 100 ft lbs. Up until the past few years (pushing 70 now), he has been farming solo for the most part. By your reasoning, he should have been a failure. But where there's a will, there's a way.

·
Registered
869 Posts
A few duties here and there yea, but they are not going to be stacking square bales by hand or changing the transmission out on the kenworth.
I guarantee my grandma hacked more square bales than you and probably more than most everyone on the combine forum.
I’m stronger than most of the guys that have worked for us and some by a large margin but that isn’t a reason to fire them. Bone size and strength mean very little on a modern farm.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
I see now exactly what Chris is talking about. Man you really brought the light to it.

What I find interesting is I get the impression from a handful that if a woman isn't capable of every single task on the farm she can't maintain the title "farmer" witch is bull ****. Witch I have made the point also that if a person be it man OR woman they can do anything they want to do. Every individual skill set is different and would typically be recognized as life.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Nope, probably not. In fact she probably wouldn't even live in the country.

But I'll counter you with this:
How many raise their daughters with equal opportunity to take over the family farm as they do their sons?
Sorry i dont have kids....

Ant...

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
There is two sides to this. The crop adjuster has just been to 250 farms and sees "the wife" and asks about the farm. She says, I don't know, you have to talk to Bob about that stuff. And or getting a phone call half day later with the reply, you should have talked to me.....Then after several years of this, he pretty much goes in with the assumption of what will happen at the next farm visit.

So a question for Chris, did you write a letter and contact the company and make a formal complaint on how your farm family was treated?

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
I'll agree with ya, not too many.
I have always thought it was interesting to say the least that my wife was one of two children, she has a brother.
He don't have the foggiest clue about farming and I remember the few times he ran grain cart and she was in the combine she owned his ass! He never did any work in the shop nor did anything I am aware of but grain cart, no tillage or Nothing! He's a computer geek IT guy and if I hadn't drug my wife to the other side of the state she would be taking over her old man's farm one day without question.
I, with the help of my wife would have been able to spark the interest in a girl to be able to farm one day but we had boys, not to say a daughter couldn't happen but it's not in the plans

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Ok, the wife and I have been creeping here all evening. The title is misleading and wrong. Women do not need our help, they need our support. Simple as that. Don't let her take over my account, you may not like it. She barely puts up with my ****, let alone anyone else. Anyhow, I made popcorn time for a show; here or on tv.... either way we will have a good time.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Id rather support 100% of women who want to enter ag than play the why havent we got 50/50 game...

If i hire someone next year for calf raising work id employ female no worries...

Ant....

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Well, I asked my wife why more women wouldn't wanna join TCF.

Part of it is, because there aren't many women on here, so they are worried about their kind of posts being seen as "weird".

The conversations women have on the women in ag groups are... different... than what we post here, granted... and I can see how posts about breastfeeding in the combine, how to stop unwanted advances from the feed sales guy would make guys feel uncomfortable... That's not all they discuss... there's topics on there about school tax increases, property disputes, a piece of crap combine that had an engine put a hole in the block... (Darcy was sumerizing what's happening on the women in ag groups tonight).

I think it's the nature of things... men tend to group together, and women tend to group together...

Don, have you ever asked your youngest (I don't want to put names on here) why she hasn't joined? She works in the ag field, also (I'm assuming she still does?)
By all means, please encourage your wife to join TCF! I`m sick and tired of being the only woman on here! Us girls could talk about all sorts of stuff!:54:

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Rite now a straight white male has more hiring obstructions than anybody. Most of them government mandates. If a war breaks out it will be interesting to see if the feminists want equal time in the grave yards

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Well many pages back I took some advice lol and made popcorn after hihi's comments lol. The bowl was empty long ago reading to here! My own experience with women in Ag are the same with men and women. Some women I talk to in Ag are very intelligent and some men as well. Also the opposite is true. The agrologist at Pro Soils here is my go to "Brain" for everything. She has given me great advice always and can ask her questions about everything and she gives me great answers that make sense. She is heavily involved in her own farm operation with her husband in Preeceville I think. Somewhere over there anyway. Her husband is fortunate to have someone like her for a wife as their operation won't make mistakes. My wife isn't involved in the farm aspect all that much but income wise very much so. She has a full time job teaching and is very good at her job. Works very long hours and makes the suppers and stuff for the farm when she can. She would help if asked in any way she can, but she does to much already IMO. My agrologist I doubt could lift a concave but she would have the bolts in as fast as anyone here I bet. There are men that struggle with the simplest of tasks that farm. We all rely on knowledge of others to help us along the way. Some of them are female. Doesn't matter to me who they are or what gender. I could probably lift the concave and my wife at the same time. I was built "strong like bull" and smart as one too. Sometimes I need help and a woman can do it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Another Perspective.

I feel this discussion like so many surrounding women in the workplace presupposes that all women find fulfillment in life by having equal opportunity and equal place in work and business. This is NOT always true. My wife although knowledgeable on farm matters has no interest in being the decision maker or being considered a principal farm operator. What she is passionate about is her family and wants and loves being a full time Mom. It ruffles my feathers when society generally speaking views that somehow as second rate or not "reaching her full potential". At the end of the day all I have to show is money while she has been shaping character and the course of multiple lives. Who has the more important job?

61 - 80 of 112 Posts