The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Don I enjoyed our punctuation lesson . Things really are different in our backyards. Not sure if you caught my final brain surge =

"Combines" to you , are "drills" or "seeders" to me . So we sow the crop with a drill.

"combines" to you , are "headers" to me.
"headers" to you ,are "fronts" to me. so we put the front on the header to "harvest" or "head" the crops.

I would enjoy explaining "rooting" in Aussie terms but fear getting banned.

I am happy to post you a "tussock" if you still are interested in expanding your knowledge.
The funny thing is people from England speak the worst English .:D

=

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
Hey Don I enjoyed our punctuation lesson . Things really are different in our backyards. Not sure if you caught my final brain surge =

"Combines" to you , are "drills" or "seeders" to me . So we sow the crop with a drill.

"headers" to you ,are "fronts" to me. so we put the front on the header to "harvest" or "head" the crops.

I would enjoy explaining "rooting" in Aussie terms but fear getting banned.

I am happy to post you a "tussock" if you still are interested in expanding your knowledge.
The funny thing is people from England speak the worst English .:D
Yes , I did catch it.

I looked this up yesterday but decided not to C and P it for the same reason you probably didn't, but doing it as a link is ok. I think.
Here goes anyway:

Since it's only a link...

Warning: do not open this link if you are offended by sexual references
The rest of you will LOL.;)

Urban Dictionary: rooting

I can't think of any word that has as opposite a meaning as rooting in our two countries.:eek:
I now see why you find our practise of rooting strange.:)

·
Registered
650 Posts

=
A "combine" was what we used to sow our crops with in the days before we had an air seeder. A "drill" is what I use to bore holes in timber and steel.

We never use a combine for reaping, we use a "header", and it has a "comb" on the front.

The comb is transported on a "comb trailer"

The comb can either be an "open front" or "comb front"

The open front can either be a "tin front" or a "draper front"

The feederhouse is a "front elevator"

The tailings elevator is "repeat elevator"

The cylinder is the "thrasher"

The rasp bars are "thrasher bars"

The grain tank is the "box"

The cleaning shoe is "the shake"

The chaffer is the "top sieve"

The sieve is the "bottom sieve"

I'm sure there are more...........

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,955 Posts
I think it might be good to give more examples than just headers related stuff so heres a couple of random ones. Would love to hear some overseas versions of word play

Groundlice = sheep

Maggot Taxis = sheep again

Tucker Fuc**r = microwave

Shifter = its a god da*n shifter and nothing else!!! (Adjustable wrench)

Bush chook = emu

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yep it is a weird world.
A combine is a drill with cultivation tynes added
A header is a combine Headers have a front attached.
South Australians go swathing the rest of us seem to windrow.
South Australians had seeders when the rest of us had combines.
South Australians go reaping while we are harvesting or stripping.
Stripping is a left over term from the old stripper harvesters(no knife) oops sickle
There was a suburb of Sydney named Rooty Hill supposedly from what was under the ground not went on above ground. Was renamed a long time ago for some reason.
Must be the heat 42c here again.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Was in the States a while back was a few other cockies from Australa , went into a small pub in LaCrosse to skull down a few shandys. The young shella behind the bar thought we were from the back of Bourke or sumthing. She reckons she couldn't understand a word we said after we been on the turps for a while. $2 whiskey things can get messy quick, least when is your shout it doesn't break the bank.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
In the finals: a rabbi and an australian shepherd
The word to form a limerick is "Timbuktu".
The rabbi:
I was a rabbi all my life,
had no children had no wife,
was reading the Talmud through and through,
on my way to Timbuktu.
The australian shepherd:
Tim and me
once to Alice Springs we went,
met three girls in a tent,
as they were three und we were two,
I bucked one and Tim bucked two

confusing language

·
Registered
19 Posts
Funny how aussie slang can get someone in trouble. Bloke I know was in the states at a bar and said to a girl that the blowies were bad here. He meant the blow flys but she took it another way and he got into all sorts of trouble over that.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Back when I had the old MF 510 I was having a few dozen schooners with a couple of mates. We were perched up near a couple of fellas that looked like bob marley or snoop dog may have gave em a lift to the pub.
Anyway when I was explaining to my mates that the wobble box had shook my ball joint that hard it had bent my shaft. One of the two behind us half choked and froth flew from his mouth and the two ran out in fits of laughter and didn't return.:D

Schooners = pots or pints or man sized beers
Wobble box = Knife drive
Mf 510 = nit comb for a wooly mammoth
Pub = tavern ,bar , office
mates = buddies , friends , trouble
fellas = dudes ,men , blokes , non female

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.