The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Amazing how something that huge can stay in the air!!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
That is one amazing aircraft, beautiful. The Soviet Union also built the worlds biggest helicopters, over twice the load capacity of any built anywhere else at 40,000lb.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Airplane Aviation Aircraft Vehicle Aerospace engineering

On the other end of the scale; I have just started flying this and it is tiny. On my second lesson for a recreational license, I would have thought flying straight and level would have been easier ;)

Somehow managed to get that photo upside down...

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
When I worked for North West Airlines in Minneapolis, we had a military one fly in, we were working on the ramp, we also had a national guard base stationed there, there was a C-5 sitting on ramp, made it look like a Cessna 150, armed guards all around it, we stopped and asked if we could look at airplane, was told yes, but you can't enter, they had tail open, all I can say is wow, I don't recall how many tires, it was a lot, Scott.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Picked my wife up at the Edmonton International on Friday evening and got to see the AN225 from about 1/4 mile away. It is very big! Hard to get a true perspective with nothing close to compare the size. The weight specs are mind boggling. Max load 355 t or 12 tridem trailer loads. Hmmm, maybe this is the answer to getting all this $5.00 wheat out of the country!
Bypass all the bandits in the system and fly it right from our closest city to China where it is worth $12.00/bu US apparently! There should be a ready list of backhauls too. Could keep it busy year round.:)

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Yep she is one massive machine, makes the old Hercs look like toys.

But the question I've been asking and no one has an answer...why in God's name do we need to have a boiler built in Germany for a fertilizer plant between Redwater and Ft Sask in Alberta...something there just don't add up IMO when you take the cost of transport into account and everything else including where the ore for the steel come from in the first place and so on....:confused:

No bloody wonder we pay what we do for fertilizer, same as our fuel, the waste and lack of common sense is unfricken believable. Anyone who says otherwise has never seen it. Like how most all 2 7/8 tubing in the patch is now made in China with ore and coal from Canada and then they ship the pipe back across the ocean:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Like how most all 2 7/8 tubing in the patch is now made in China with ore and coal from Canada and then they ship the pipe back across the ocean:rolleyes:
In Australia the coal is shipped off east coast and iron ore of west cost. Most now try and import stuff ready to go not just the steel ect. Labour is to dear and unions to hard to work with.

Madsnake

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yep she is one massive machine, makes the old Hercs look like toys.

But the question I've been asking and no one has an answer...why in God's name do we need to have a boiler built in Germany for a fertilizer plant between Redwater and Ft Sask in Alberta...something there just don't add up IMO when you take the cost of transport into account and everything else including where the ore for the steel come from in the first place and so on....:confused:

No bloody wonder we pay what we do for fertilizer, same as our fuel, the waste and lack of common sense is unfricken believable. Anyone who says otherwise has never seen it. Like how most all 2 7/8 tubing in the patch is now made in China with ore and coal from Canada and then they ship the pipe back across the ocean:rolleyes:
For the same reason that a few years ago dad was project manger for a boiler being built at Nova at Joffre. We don't have the machine shops capable of building such a big continuous boiler.(the whole thing being built in one piece) for the pressures that are needed. Two smaller ones yes. One HUGE one no. This boiler was built in Italy. Infact they look at this plane to move it to Alberta. Two reason why they didn't. One the cost. Was cheaper to go by boat and rail. Two it was at about the max weight for the plane and they thought safety was a factor. It could have done it but if weather was bad.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.