The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You suggested in another thread when talking about my pig issues to fry up some bacon and walk quietly through the barn starring the pigs down. It almost made sense, make them think that I'm crazy and mentally unstable... until tonight. Another jail break. This time was different. I had a dead in the alley by the door from this morning that I went to pick up tonight. Open door, pigs everywhere, again, this makes 5 times in two weeks. They took the dead from the alley to the back of the pen and proceeded to mutilate it, unpack it, whatever you want to call it. These guys are insane. I realize pigs are omnivores but generally if they have full feed in front of them and throw in a bunch of loose gates to deal with they won't tear one apart. I've come to the determination that they are obviously utilizing my blanket WIFI signal and somehow have obtained a device allowing them to view TCF therefore seeing your post and taking it up a notch.

There is no other logical conclusion.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Not to be a tin foil hat wearing crack pot but the way genetics and feeding programs are pushed nowadays along with all the technology waves bouncing around why wouldn’t it affect animals. Heck we are probably lucky we aren’t all goofy

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Cptusa have you hung chew chains in the pens? Some genetics are alot more agressive than others. Some are just like sharks and will try eat you alive when you walk in the pen.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cptusa have you hung chew chains in the pens? Some genetics are alot more agressive than others. Some are just like sharks and will try eat you alive when you walk in the pen.
There are actually two different flows in that barn and one is exceptionally aggressive. Chew chains do help but end up in pit and in agitator pump so I don't use them. Used tires work good but are a biosecurity issue.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Get out! GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE MAN!!!! Is there someone we can contact to go look for you in case we don't hear from you for a few days? Just PM me all your banking info and where you have all your tin cans full of money, I will look after it for you, it's the least I can do!

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Heard a story about a worker in a hog barn that got knocked out and when he came to he was missing a bunch of fingers! Captain you had better wear a helmet and a cup when you go in there next time...:wink:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
We raise turkeys and aggression is a problem. Sometimes it can be controlled by length of long day lighting. Sometimes different colored ropes and sometimes you just deal with it. There are flocks where you don’t walk the barn anymore than necessary and if you have to bend down to fix something you need a spotter to keep them from coming after you when you’re not looking

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Do you control what goes into the ration or does your feed supplier? I've been out for almost 10 years now, but there were some growth promoters on the market that would make the pigs hyper. I think raptopamine was one... made them more aggressive, and in some genetic lines it would give them seizures and heart attacks.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I contract feed so no I have no input in feed ration or genetics. Paylean (ractopamine) can really screw with certain genetics, these pigs have been assholes since they walked in the door but only recieve paylean after the first top out and honestly has had little to no effect on this group. Sometimes the stuff can be a real nightmare.

So turkey aggression really surprises me, I did not realize that they were that way.

Heard a story like SWMan, guy was checking pigs and had a heart attack in the pen, they found bones and no more.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
When the turkeys get bigger they will puff up and charge at you. They will beat the crap out of you with their wings even had some come at you like a fighting rooster. They will start to peck at weaker slower birds and won’t stop till the bird is dead

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
In western Canada paylean is a swear word. No packer will buy your hogs if they are feed paylean and if you mill feed you have to go through a certification that you are completley free of paylean. A lot of of countries we export to will not take hogs that have been fed paylean. Its just another trade barrier. We still see aggressive pigs without paylean that ear bite, flank suck, and tail bite. Chew chains have been a big help.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I’m told they love dead hookers:1:
:21:

I have a few chickens and a couple roosters. They are getting older now, but when they were young, those rooster were fu#*ing scary!!!! Probably pretty funny for someone to watch a 6'2" man running and screaming from a psychotic rooster! Not funny when you are the 6'2" man.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
:21:

I have a few chickens and a couple roosters. They are getting older now, but when they were young, those rooster were fu#*ing scary!!!! Probably pretty funny for someone to watch a 6'2" man running and screaming from a psychotic rooster! Not funny when you are the 6'2" man.

No shame in that. When I was little grandpa had a leghorn rooster (white *******) the prick would put the run on you if you got close to it. Try to spur you.
There the devil

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
We had a rooster.... called him elvis (sideburns) brother in law came by one day and crowed at him.... elvis was never the same after that... dont know what it was but something snapped in that little bird brain of his... turned him evil!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts