The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking water logging causing N take up to be slow?...paddock has bucket loads of Cu, Zn and Mg....it's been pretty wet last week of so...

.?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just checking records we got down to 1.8 degrees c on the 9th of June...it's only the odd plant ....might have been?

We rarely get frost, I didn't think it was wet enough for Forrest to go yellow or starve N as it takes a fair bit to knock it but each year is different....and it's got alot of N with seed...some areas are water logged but plants not yellow...

So frost might be closest to what's going on at this point?

Cheers,

Ant...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Could be the early signs of leaf disease. If I'm not mistaken that's how it starts out and works it's way back to the stem. If it's been wet I really wouldn't rule it out

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My soil is high in iron..like way high...?? It could be potash as I am a bit low in that...? Was planning to add some with first N application...

Will have a better look when the weather is better...

I'd say I could hail damage to the list by what I can hear in the roof at the moment.....

Ant....

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ohh and the leaves dropping off the bottom is a characteristic of Forrest, some plants do it some don't...didn't seem to affect wheat last year...had some whopping plants with 14 row heads...so not to worried about those ones...

Ant..

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Could be 'banding' as my Syngenta explained to me on mine, caused by surfactant in traxos. Was it recently sprayed? Nitrogen deficiency usually shows up with yellowed older leaves and pale green new ones. If it is caused by the surfactant there's nothing to worry about. New leaf will look perfectly healthy.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope hasn't been sprayed...should have been but I missed and now it's pretty wet...like water laying everywhere wet...as its only the odd plant...in certain areas...either frost of defencies ....all the other leaves on the plants are nice emerald green...crop looks healthy...

I hope I don't get another 40" this year....

Ant

Attachments

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty sure it's from water logging now, I've just got home and the whole crop is pretty much tipped, and it's as wet as the cockpit of MH370....

Had 500mm for the year or 20" in the old language and 200mm in June or 8", wetter than last year which I can't believe, spent half the day clearing drains....and it's still raining...

Hopefully Forrest will dig it's heals in and keep boxing on...

Ant....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yellow tips on Wheat

In your first photo, one leaf is showing signs of copper deficiency.
Plant Cu deficiency will show up suddenly after about 3 to 5 weeks of waterlogging no matter how much Cu is in the soil as the roots are not able to take up the Cu. When I farmed soils that waterlogged, I used to apply foliar Cu by aircraft before the symptoms showed up and I had excellent results with up to 500% increase in yield over untreated areas. Even a foliar application after symptoms showed up helped on many occasions. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know Ad...a poor taste in jokes....but it does match the search effort...and handling of the matter...

Don..we do get the odd frost even close to coast...but would never get one around when wheat is flowering....in definitely...major issue over here is the old October frost....

Was going to send pic to Wayne this week as I wanted to get home and take more pics...but the rivers and lakes running through the farm are a bit of a giveaway...however Forrest has a remarkable ability to hang on in the wet..

AF....cheers for the info, this will get magnum when I can get on which has a trace pack in it, may add some extra k and cu if needed..see how long until spray...

A bit disappointing since the wet about stuffed me last year...I will be amazed if we break last years rain total..two record years in a row when starting out is not fun...

Ant...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts